Question: Lead Teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by marcus903, Jun 13, 2011.

1. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jun 13, 2011

Before I start, let me just tell you that I DID look this up on google. I just need a clarification from you guys

1. What does a "Lead Teacher" do?

2. What is the duties and responsibilities of "Lead Teachers"?

3. Does he gets his own office?

4. How much does he get paid?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

This will vary by district.

Our lead teachers do not get an office, they still teach their normal classes. Being a lead teacher is in addition to their work already assigned. They do receive an extra $150 a year because they attend an extra meeting or two each month (so they get a stipend for this).

Our lead teacher runs our meetings, types up agendas, passes on information from administration, plans our field trips and events (even though they delegate tasks to others).

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

I've just been 'appointed' lead teacher for next year. I'll get a small stipend ($500/year, I think). Here are some of my responsibilities:
    - attend monthly meetings with administration to discuss initiatives, policies, concerns
    - chair a monthly meeting with the teachers in the division to conduct some PD, discuss school and division initiatives and concerns
    - coordinate the ordering of textbooks
    - coordinate special events
    - source and share resources
    - maintain a calendar of division events
    - represent the school at two Literacy conferences (yay!)
    - provide training and advice when required
    - take the "flak" when anything goes wrong :p

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

Maybe you should ask your question on the previously started 'lead teacher' thread. It's preferred that same topics stay confined to one thread. Perhaps the mods could move your question there as you really don't need multiple answers for this question. Here's the link:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=141163

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 13, 2011

Mostly the same responsibilities as listed above, but we don't get any extra money. No stipend.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2011

The other thread is celebratory and by a different member. Little would be gained by merging them.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

Thanks. It does seem the question has been answered anyway.:)

9. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 13, 2011

We don't have any lead teachers, but it does sound very beneficial. It might be something to consider with my principal. I offered her a 3 page outline of ideas that I have for us to have a better year. She is always asking me for my thoughts and suggestions, I figured I would add this one to it. We will meet at the beginning of July.

10. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jun 13, 2011

there is a difference between a "lead teacher" in the US and the UK..I student taught in the UK, my supervising teacher was a lead teacher..she got one afternoon a week out for doing lead teacher type things..don't think that happens with many schools in the US..

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 13, 2011

I never got a stipend for being a Lead Teacher for 4 years.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 14, 2011

We have lead teachers in the different subject areas-so one for reading, science, math and social studies. These are usually teachers who attend meetings and report back to the staff about district curriculum, etc; also responsible for putting together a refresher pd for the staff at the beginning of the year. Attending monthly campus meetings to report back to the admin is also required. There are no longer going to be stipends attached the positions but there used to be.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 14, 2011

I'm a lead teacher. Ours is an elected position. The team of teachers decides who is going to be the lead teacher, although the principal has assigned them in cases where nobody wanted the job.

I am the "go to" person for the team. If there is something that needs to be passed along to the team, the principal tells me about it. I submit minutes of all our meetings. I arrange parent meetings. I lead team meetings. I coordinate field trips. I'll sometimes meet with the other lead teachers to coordinate things for the entire building.

I get a $500 per year stipend for doing that. I don't get any extra time off or an office.

The funny thing is that I'm also the department head, which has pretty much the same responsibilities, only for the department instead of the grade-level team, but I don't get any extra pay for that.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2011

At the schools I worked at, the lead teacher didn't have much of a role except to take notes during our team meetings. They didn't make extra money. They also don't get their own office, especially since there are no extra spaces/room.