Question; how to deliver my application packet?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by heavens54, Feb 15, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2010

I am renewing most of them. Updating. I have a new resume which includes my teaching credential, updated TB test, passed RICA, things like this. Many districts already have my packet from last year. Should I drop by the district offices and say that I am dropping off the updates for my application file from last year? Should I do everything new again and then take it by? Should I mail the updating documentation? Which is best?

3. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Feb 15, 2010

I would prepare new application packets from scratch instead of submitting just the updated documents. This makes it easier for human resource representatives and for principals. At one interview, I glanced over and noticed that the human resource representative had given the principal my old application, without any of the updates that I had submitted. This was a special case -- the lady had it in for me (and mercifully, she will soon be retired!) -- but why risk being evaluated on the basis of old documents?

If you can drop off some of the applications in person without losing a day's pay or incurring substantial transportation expenses, why not? You are likely to be remembered if you make a good impression with the secretary. You might even bump in to someone important!

The other applications can just be sent by First Class Mail. A Priority Mail envelope, though more expensive, sometimes makes you stand out.

You don't mention whether you are also updating any electronic applications on EdJoin. There, you can click the paperclip icon to add attachments to, and remove attachments from, a previously-submitted application. I am not sure, however, that this triggers a message inviting the district to re-evaluate your application. Withdrawing an entire application and reapplying supposedly works, if the job posting is still active.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2010

I agree with guest teacher...good luck!

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2010

There are no jobs on Edjoin for the districts that I am looking at. Not at the moment, anyway. Shouldn't I just update my documentation anyway, so that it is posted, in anticipation of a random opening somewhere? Thanks.

6. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Feb 16, 2010

When you have time, it is doesn't hurt to upload the new documents to your EdJoin attachment library so that they'll be ready when you see a job you want to apply for.

But for now, the more important thing is to log in, click "My EdJoin", click "Edit my Profile", and update the information there. At the bottom of the first page ("My Info"), make sure that "Exclude My Profile From The ED-JOIN Applicant Bank" is not checked. On the fifth page ("My Credentials"), check the boxes for your new test results and put any details in the "Other:" box.

I don't know whether school districts now use, or have ever used, the Applicant Bank feature on EdJoin, but let's hope they do! Has anyone been contacted as a result of creating an EdJoin profile rather than as a result of applying for a specific job on EdJoin?

Best of luck in your job search, heavens54!