Question Game

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Mamacita, Apr 7, 2005.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 13, 2005

i have mixed feeling about it. i do think the child's mother was out to make money. but he is wrong for sharing a bed with young boys.

if you could live anywhere where would it be?

2. southernangel

southernangel Rookie

Jun 14, 2005

If I could live anywhere in the world I would want to live in Alaska. When i was 10 yrs old my grandparents I went on vacation there. I had a blast. We were there of course when it was daylight all the time. It was just really beautiful there.

What was your favorite summer vacation?

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2005

Last fall when my husband and I went to Canada. It was our first real vacation together, and without the kid.

As far as the Jackson Trial: I agree with AMK. People are money hungry and sue happy, but you have to use common sense, especially when dealing with children. I wonder if he'll learn a lesson? Probably not. If he really did do it, I hope someone else will come forward and put him away.

How many bedrooms do you have in your house?

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2005

We live in a cottage on a lake...so it only has 2 bedrooms...and possible third one.

Do you know your neighbors?

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 14, 2005

i live in a condo and we are very friendly with one the other two keep to themselves.

what is your favorite thing to teach kids?

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2005

Reading because it's so very important and I love to see them start to sound out sounds and connect the words together.

We live in a two bedroom as well:) It's not on a lake though:( We just moved about a year ago and bought our first house so we know our neighbors as much as we could within that amount of time. Both to each side are very nice and respectful people. The ones in back need a little work, but aren't disrespectful and usually quiet.

Was there a subject you struggled with in school? What was it? Mine was math-why is algebra so important anyway! I don't use it a single day in my life.

7. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 15, 2005

Mine was trigonometry, the teacher WOULD NOT help students figure it out, explained it once, and if you didn't get it then, oh well. After that I hated math, but now I like it again, am even thinking about getting certified to teach it at the middle school level.

What was your favorite/best subject in school?

8. southernangel

southernangel Rookie

Jun 15, 2005

My favorite subject in school was History. I loved to learn about the presidents and all the old wars.

Who was your favorite teacher and how did he or she impact your life?

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2005

My favorite teacher by far was my 3rd grade teacher who I see every Sunday yet at church. The other day she gave me a few pictures of when I was in her class (he he-they were pretty funny. What was my mother thinking?). She impacted my life a great deal and was probably the one teacher who helped me decided what to become. She's still the same fun loving and extremely patience and kind person she always was.

Who was your least favorite teacher and why?

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2005

My high school choir teacher. He was not a nice person in any way and picked on me a lot. He actually knew my dad from an organization they both belonged to and they didn't get along very well. This teacher was a loud-mouthed know-it-all and my dad was a quiet, decent man.

Did you ever get detention when you were in high school? What for?

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 15, 2005

Yep, actually wasn't my fault though (so I didn't have to serve it all). One of my teachers kept me in her room to work on some things for state rally. My next teacher (rough teacher) turned me in for skipping class. Mrs. D went to the principal immedately to explain. He said I still shouldn't have missed class (several of us going to rally were staying over in classes). The principal wasn't happy about it, but he gave in.

Did you ever do something that deserved attention, but you didn't get caught? What was it?

12. southernangel

southernangel Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

I remember a time when I was 5 years old, and I was in the grocery store with my grandmother. I asked her if i could have this 5 cent piece of bubble gum and she said no. Well after throwing a fit like all kids do, I stuck it in my pocket and walked out the door with my grandmother. No one ever found out.

What is your one pet peeve that your students do?

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2005

WHINE WHINE WHINE!!! I hate whiners-children and adults!

Who was the worst student you ever had and what did he/she do that was so horrible? Mine was a little kid (3 years old) that called me a stupid **tch on my first day of work. That was only the beginning. Things went through my mind that I had never thought of before.

14. kay

kay Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

This was when I was teaching at Tulane University as a graduate student and I added this very beautiful boy to my class. He turned out to be an absolute idiot and failed the class. I gave him a D- becuase I never wanted to see him again and he ended up tracking me down at home when I was visiting my parents and harassed me for days. I had to turn him in to the dean of men and found out that he had a similar experience with another teacher. It was just pretty scary how he went kind of wack-o over his grade. I've also had a student acuse me of sexual harassment (totally unfounded, but I think that happens to a lot of female teachers).

Who was your most memorable student and why?

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2005

Memorable as in bad or good-I'll go with good!!!:)

My first job in a pre-K class I had this little girl named Pam. I was actually only her teacher for about 4 months, but I'll never forget her. She was a beautiful child, on the smaller side with very long auburn hair and dark eyes. She was so polite and sweet, she never got in trouble and was very well liked by the other kids and staff. She's one of those kids that make you think "if I have kids I want them to be like her". I have had a few like that, but she stands out because she was the first to make an impression on me.

Do you prefer fruits or vegatables?

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2005

vegetables, I think...I haven't been eating enough of them lately...

Do you like to try on clothes or is it a real chore?

17. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 17, 2005

Usually it's a real chore for me, but every once in awhile I actually want to go shopping, just not right now since I'm broke. :rolleyes:

Do you usually go buy stuff in the store, or mainly an online shopper?

18. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 17, 2005

Exclusively off-line shopping!

Do you trust the security of websites for online shopping?

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2005

A little of both. I like to shop, so I do a lot of shopping out of the house, but if it's things that you may not be able to find in a store around here, I go online.

Do you like to pay for things with cash, credit, or debit? I hate carrying cash and prefer my debit card.

20. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 18, 2005

I like to pay with cash because I always seem surprised when my credit card bill arrives in the mail!

Are you planning on just taking it easy the first few days of summer vacation (we are still in school!) or jump right into vacation?

21. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jun 18, 2005

Taking it easy!!

If you were going on vacation and your destination was over 800 miles away, would you drive or fly? (This is a heated debate in my house right now :p )

22. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2005

According to my husband we would drive even if we had to coast across the ocean. He is afraid of heights and flying! I would rather fly and get it over with.

Are you afraid of heights? If not, what are you afraid of?

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 18, 2005

No, I'm fine with heights (although flying in a little puddle jumper wasn't fun!) I have a phobia about roaches. I have jumped over furniture to get away from them. Even a picture of one is enough to get to me. My kids know that if they see one in the room, kill it, and get rid of the carcass before I see it, then they get 3 treats from the jar. It works!

Weather permitting, do you sleep with the windows open?

24. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 18, 2005

Not usually, because my bedroom is near the road and I can hear the traffic going by at night.

If you have any pets, do they sleep in the same room as you? Or if you don't have pets, would you let one sleep in the same room as you?

25. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 18, 2005

No, I would not let pets sleep in the same room with me. I don't like the smell, the fur, or noise.

Do you have to help your parents, as they are aging, and unable to do things like they used to?

26. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Jun 19, 2005

I'm not very old, so my parents are only in their early 50s. They don't need help yet, but I'm an only child, so you better be sure I'll help when they need it.

Would you rather have a nice cooked meal at home, or go out to your favorite restaurant?

27. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jun 19, 2005

Home cooked meal anytime (as long as I'm not the one cooking).

What is your favorite ride at an amusement park?

28. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2005

Anything that goes upside down. My husband wont go on anything like that so I haven't been on one in a long time-chicken!!!

I have a cat and he sleeps wherever I am laying. I love my cuddly cat:) I don't mind the fur, I just make sure I do laundry very often.

Do you mind humid weather?

29. southernangel

southernangel Rookie

Jun 19, 2005

I don't like humid weather.... I love the 70 degree weather.

What is your favorite activity to do with your class?

30. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 19, 2005

Oh, this is hard; I've been out 2 weeks now and I'm starting to miss the kids (not that I'm ready to go back, mind you!).
    I love to play games with my students - they get so excited at the thought of playing a game, and after we have played one or two at the beginning of the year, they learn that you don't have to "get something" at the end to have fun.
    But probably my favorite thing to do is read aloud. We have to set a timer to remind us when to stop; one day we almost missed lunch!

If you had to switch grades, would you go up or down?

31. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2005

Since I am in Pre-K I would have no choice but to go up. I think I would like to try teaching high school or middle school.

What color wood do you have in your house?

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2005

I live in an old cottage so I have very kind of wood you can name, but pine is my favorite.

Glendall, I love the fur , the noise and even the soft smell of my cats fur...when the cats were kittens and played, that didn't even bother me in the middle of the night...they comfort me.

Why do you have pets?

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2005

I have always grown up with them and love the companionship, especially if there is nobody else home. I have a weak spot for animals and love them to pieces:) I always grew up with dogs, but now I have cats. I think we have cats now because I never had one growing up-my dad and brother are allergic. So now that I can have them, I want them. The only thing I don't like are the hairballs-YUCK!!! I've also had rats, mice, gerbils, hamsters, bunnies, farrets, fish, and guinea pigs. I'm allergic to rodents now so I can't have them anymore :(. I've never had birds though. They scare me for some reason.

If you could have any exotic pet, what would it be?

34. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jun 21, 2005

Probably a White-Faced Monkey (they are so pretty and monkeys are just funny).

If you could live anywhere in the world and not have to worry about money, where would it be?

35. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 21, 2005

Turks and Caicos! It is a beautiful island!

Would you sooner have a job that paid well but you were not all that happy in or a job that you loved with pay that was not all that great?

36. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2005

That is a hard one! As long as I was paying my bills and getting by (without putting things on a credit card) then I would rather have a job that paid a little less that I was happy at.

What color is your living room furniture?

37. southernangel

southernangel Rookie

Jun 22, 2005

Blue

What is your favorite saying to your students?

38. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 22, 2005

I have many but with this year's class I fond myself saying a lot "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it." I swear the girls in my kinder class were outright nasty to one another - making comments and giving dirty looks!

Was your mom a good cook?

Mine wasn't but my grandfather was the best and now my uncle is the cook in the family.

39. southernangel

southernangel Rookie

Jun 22, 2005

I didn't live with my mom so I don't know, but my step grandmother that raised me was an awesome cook.

What is your favorite thing to give your students when they do something awesome? For ex... Everyone bringing their homework back on time... or everyone getting a 100 on their spelling test?

40. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 22, 2005

Can't beat a big hug! Also, any type of verbal praise is wonderful for the child's self-esteem.

(thinking of War of the Worlds) What would you do/say if a space ship landed in your back yard and an alien emerged?