Question for Title Reading Teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by angelteacher1, Aug 13, 2015.

1. angelteacher1

angelteacher1 New Member

Aug 13, 2015

Hi everyone,
    I'm a 5th year title reading teacher. every year my position and schedule changes. this year i have groups every 20 minutes. TWENTY. Can you share your schedule with me? What subject do students get pulled from to come to you?

We use LLI for reading intervention and the lessons require 45 minutes. If you use LLI, can you share how you split up the lesson into 2 days? How do you fit in time for documentation?

And lastly, Do you have a comprehension ONLY intervention that you use? We are looking for a comprehension specific intervention that we can take data on and are having a hard time finding one that is ONLY comprehension. if you have one or know of one, please PLEASE share.

i appreciate all of your information.

3. kab164

kab164 Companion

Aug 14, 2015

Hi. I'm a title teacher, mostly reading but a little math. Mostly lower el. Our school psychologist doesn't recommend teaching comprehension in isolation. She says most reading problems are decoding or fluency related. Comprehension should improve when the weak area is addressed. Have you looked on fcrr.org?

I typically work with small reading groups 4x a week for 30 minutes. I do pull out in K and 2, and serve 1st in their reading classroom for 45 mins daily.

Our teachers are really good about trying to do activities my kids can miss when they are with me, but it is a challenge. Unless your grade level does a reading intervention block, they will always miss something to go with title. Some teachers do spelling practice, Daily 5, book clubs during that time.

I hope you have a great year!

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 14, 2015

No offense, but that's just false. Especially in populations with English language learners and/or students with disabilities. You can have plenty of kids who decode just fine and don't comprehend a thing. All the fluency and accuracy intervention in the world won't do anything for that.

OP-I teach comprehension through skill lessons during guided reading. I use strategies from the CAFE book, stephanie harvey, etc. PM me for more detail.