Question for those who teach Reader's Workshop..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Aug 21, 2011.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Aug 21, 2011

We just finished our first 4 weeks of school.. I teach reader's workshop and I have spent this time teaching the kids about procedures, building stamina and learning to respond to reading. I'm just now starting to get into teaching story elements.

I'm curious what other's do for grades during the first weeks of school when the kids are learning about RW.

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2011

You can definitely assess their reading by doing Running Records and give them a reading grade based on that. You can also assess their responses in their reading notebooks, checking to see if they're responding at all, using prompts, etc. Lastly, I assess their post-it work (meaning what they are stopping & jotting on post-its) during independent reading time & also read aloud. I might stop in the middle of a read aloud and have them respond in some kind of way and collect the post-its and assess them for additional work etc.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

My time setting up the reader's workshop is much shorter. But during the first few weeks, I assess based mostly on self reflection and using procedures (as this is what I am teaching).