Question for those who teach 2 yr olds..

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by new2twos, Oct 21, 2010.

1. new2twos

new2twos Rookie

Oct 21, 2010

I am still trying to figure out our schedule.. Here is what we do during the day.
    9:00-9:30 arrival/free play (if we are doing a painting project we will get them as they come in so it has time to dry)

9:30-9:40 clean up and go to circle time

9:40-10:00 Circle time (our letter we are working on, count the mini pumkins, sing the aBC song, Using the jack o latern we talk about the color and shape of eyes, we find our eyes, nose and mouth, Do an action poem and then we will either pick spiders off the web and color sort or sort pumkins by big and small)

10:00-10:20 snack time

10:20-10:30 music time

10:30-11:00 *this is my odd time.. depending on the kids mood we will color a picture, do a mini project, play playdoh, or somedays the kids will just have free play where we will just play with them what they want to play.. today they wanted to play with the blocks so we all built towers and talked about the colors and then they decided to make the puppets tickle us and then my assistant and I started making the puppets talk to the kids and they were just laughing..)

11:00-11:15 is clean up time and go to the bathoom and change diapers before going outside and putting on coats..

11:15-11:45 is our assigned outside time

11:45-12 we calm it down and they get their sippy cups and my assistant or I will read them a story and the other will pack the bookbags

12;00 is departure

Is this schedule ok? We were observed by the director today and of course I'm paranoid.. ya know. She mentioned something about needing to have an organized activity instead of free time 1st thing in the morning b/c some of the kids stood around and looked bored. Well we have 2 kids who do stand around but they do that everyday and one likes to stand right beside us. It takes her about 10 mins b4 she decides to go play no matter how much we try to get her to play. The other boy is the same way.. he is a slow starter. We have kids that come in from 9-9:30. We have to get the bookbags hung up, folders in their folder pocket, and sippy cup in the cup basket.

So I guess my question is what would be an organized activity that we can do that will be ok to have kids joining at a later date and that we can supervise but may have to walk away from when other kids come in.

Thanks

3. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Oct 21, 2010

I would have the 9-9:30 time be Quiet Activity time with 3-4 tables that have one activity per table such as coloring, lacing, beading, play dough, puzzles, books, small toys, etc.. Make boxes that are labeled Mon-Fri and just drag them out each day and engage the kids to come to the tables and 'work'.

10 min of clean up is too long even for my 4 year olds. Do 5 min and whatever isn't cleaned up you or the assistant will get to it later.

4. new2twos

new2twos Rookie

Oct 21, 2010

The quiet activity time is a great idea. We only have 1 table so I'll have to see how else to arrange it for set up.

The 10 mins of clean up only equals about 5 mins of clean up and then a 5 mins for those who need to potty and getting their circle time mats out and on the floor.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 21, 2010

Quiet activities could be...

Legos or other building toy 9can do on the floor if you ned the table space)
    Puzzles
    Books
    etc

When I was at the daycare and had staggered dropoff, that was pretty much the norm for most of the classrooms, 2's on up... we had "controlled free play" which meant we decided on the toys that were out, the kids could pick from within those. With my 3's, coloring was always a popular option, and easy for them to clean up.

6. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Oct 21, 2010

With 2 year olds in a half day program, I think my schedule would look something like:

Free Play
    Change diapers, wash hands
    Have Morning Snack
    Outdoor Play Ground time
    Read a short story
    Go Home

Of course, diapers would also be changed as needed. ;)

Organized activites such as art, counting pumpkins and spiders, etc.., can be done while free play is going on.

Don't let the director change your schedule just because she thought one child looked bored while she was observing your room one time.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 21, 2010

I agree that the free play and outside time are the most important for this age (and all ages, really). The organized activity that your children engage in .... leaving you the ability to walk to greet other parents would be "free play and social skill development". With my twos I don't even make the choices for them necessarily.

I have children that come in clingy and need to just stand and watch.....they are fine....they are learning. Of course you wouldn't let them do this all day, but you are doing fine to let them warm up before shooing them off to play.

In my full day program we have free play from 8:15a-10:00 or 10:30 depending on the play and if it is coming to a natural end. The twos are learing a ton! I would suggest rather than rearranging your day, work on a go to line for each of your centers so that when you director wants to know what they are learning at center x you can tell them without really thinking.

Use you confidence to keep the children's free play sacred.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 21, 2010

:thumb::thumb::thumb: