Question for those in warm weather

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kcjo13, Jan 3, 2014.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

Where do you shop in December/January?

I ask because we are going on vacation in 3 weeks (Jamaica-ahhhh!) and I am having trouble finding warm weather clothing online. Last year, before we went, I found several summery dresses and flip flops but I have not seen very much this year yet. I'm thinking breezy, tropical looking, sun dresses.

Help! Shopping crisis! :lol:

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

Argh. Everything I am finding is either:

1. A sweater dress
    2. Made for a size 2
    3. Made for a hooker
    4. $900

I just want a few nice, flowy tropical looking dresses, maybe a halter top, like what you see women wearing on HGTV while looking to buy an island.

'Course, they are probably wearing the $900 varieties...

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 3, 2014

Our stores have winter clothing now, too...

Have you tried outlet stores online or the website Overstock?

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

No but I will! I tried Macy's, Dress Barn, Maurices, Old Navy, and Venus. Venus has great dresses, but are a little too small for me. I'm like that lady on Steel Magnolias...I wear a size 10, but a 12 feels so good I wear a 14!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 3, 2014

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 3, 2014

This actually made me LOL :lol:, so thank you for that. Especially #3 and 4. And the reference to House Hunters International. (At least, that's what I think you are referring to.)

I live in a warmer climate, but when it's 60 degrees everyone breaks out the sweaters, pea coats, and boots. So that's what our stores are selling right now, too, no matter how ridiculous that may be. :rolleyes:

Although Target is carrying swimsuits now, which I find bizarre.

Lands End has some stuff that is more summery online. I saw a couple of dresses on there.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 3, 2014

Southern California here, our stores typically stock clothing that's appropriate for "fall" as far as warmth right now. Most places won't have beachy stuff unless you go to a small boutique or place that specializes in swimwear, etc. I'm going on vacation too and I'm relying on simple tees, stuff I already have, or maybe purchasing a couple things there. You could also try looking for simple dresses at discount type stores, which sometimes have stuff off-season. Places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack etc usually always have things like jersey maxi dresses here. You can pick a bright color and throw a flower in your hair. :)

Flip flops are everywhere here all the time, but you could probably just order them online. I'd go with Amazon.

9. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jan 3, 2014

Most of us still wear winter clothes during the winter... Even if the low is 65 degrees! Lol yes we are kind of silly like that. I love my boots and scarves!

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2014

I've gotten emails the last couple days with cruise wear from talbots, and Ann Taylor I think.

11. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 3, 2014

Resort wear starts appearing in the larger department stores this time of year - right after the holiday sales are over. Keep looking and you'll see more in stores and online as we move further into winter. Folks flee the cold weather for warmer vacation spots and therefore the stores stock swimsuits, sandals, and sunglasses.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2014

Our stores stock summer type clothing year round. But I also buy things online at Kohl's, Target, Old Navy, and sometimes eBay. I mostly wear dresses.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2014

I think next week or 2, spring wear will begin. It pushes close to your trip, so you may have to shop locally instead of online.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 4, 2014

Thank you all for the ideas! I tend to shop from the same local store, so I was stuck when looking online. Last year, we knew we were going in the summer/early fall, so I hit end of season sales. This year, I'm slow on the start!

Yellow daisies- have you seen the new Island Hunters? It fascinates me that these average looking people are buying $5 million dollar islands. But they sure look fabulous while doing it!

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 4, 2014

The resort we go to only has one gift shop, and the dresses in there are waaay expensive and size 2's, unfortunately! Super cute though. I did find a couple today, but I had to quit shopping for now- darn hubby and his desire to have dinner, lol! I plan to spend a good deal of time tomorrow browsing!

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 4, 2014

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2014

For some reason, the stores here stock winter clothes. I mean, it's in the high70s to high 80s almost every day. I don't really need a wool coat or scarves or sweaters.

Spring lines should be coming out soon, so that should help. Old Navy had some cute wrap dresses online, and ModCloth has summer dresses up.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 4, 2014

Thanks again everyone! KU, hang on to your long johns-it's gonna get C-C-C-COLD!!

19. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 4, 2014

Beall's

Try Beall's-online. Good prices and lots of "Florida" clothing...have a fun trip!!

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 4, 2014

Thanks MrsDLC-I will try that!

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 4, 2014

Oh wow I absolutely need to watch that!!! :lol: Those kind of shows with the super rich are fascinating! Thanks!

22. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2014

They stock winter clothes here too! I was looking for maternity clothes at Target yesterday and they had a LOT of sweaters. They still had some warm weather clothes, but I'm always surprised by the amount of winter clothes they have.

23. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 4, 2014

I didn't read all the responses so this might be a repeat.. Try beallsFlorida.com. If you sign up for emails they used to send a coupon right away!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 5, 2014

I've been liking this new show too! I can't help but think are there that many island out there for sale? To me, it seems they will run out of islands for sale pretty quickly.

25. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2014

26. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2014

Remember- you can always buy stuff once you get to Jamaica.

Have fun!

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 5, 2014

You beat me to this suggestion!

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 5, 2014

I wish the resort had more options! It is very secluded and not a lot of shopping options. But the rest of the resort is simply fabulous! We love it so much. Can't wait.