Question for the runners....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by smalltowngal, Dec 16, 2010.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2010

I would like to do a 5k in the future. I made it 2 miles today! My question is: which is the better way to train? Do I try to go the full 3 miles at the same speed and then try to increase the speed OR do I try to speed up in intervals?

TIA!

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 16, 2010

I would say work on distance before worrying about time- but I'm sure you'll get equal answers supporting the other too. Try a message board like coolrunning. Or Runner's World has a message board I think.

4. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 16, 2010

I trained for a half marathon a few months ago. I could only do it the first way you described. I would gradually increase my speed. The intervals just got complicated for me and wouldn't have helped me reach such a long distance. My endurance was greatly improved.

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 16, 2010

Oh, and GOOD FOR YOU! You can do it!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 16, 2010

Smalltown, I'm in the middle of a "couch to 5k" training, and according to its schedule, the focus should be the time you spend running. If you can jog consistantly for 30 minutes, you will be able to finish a 5k.

7. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 17, 2010

My sister is a runner. She used to work on distance before her time. After she could run 3 miles in the same amount of time she ran 2, she sped up so she could run 3 miles faster than she ran the 2. Then she went for 4.

She ran so much that she actually damaged her back. She's stopped running for right now per doctors orders (surprised she listened). The last time she ran in a race she finished 16 miles in 3hrs. 1min

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2010

Thanks guys!! I think I'll go for distance and then try increasing the speed. I did make it 3 miles today though!!