Question for teachers whose parent brings school supplies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skittleroo, Jul 17, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

msmullenjr,

I agree that by 6th they should be able to keep up with their things. It's not possible in kinder as they don't even have a desk. I just make sure every kids has everything they need. That is why I buy out Walmart every summer of things I never get enough of.

I really do wish, as a parent and a teacher, that our schools wouldn't request anything from parents. I went to school in Florida and, at least at that time, parents didn't have to provide anything at all. The schools issued supplies to teachers directly. I really wished it was the same here. But our school issues supply lists for parents to provide.

Heck, my kids schools until this year always asked for copy paper!!!!!!! What???

2. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

LOL you aren't going to believe this... My P told us that we can no longer order copy paper from the district. We have to ask parents to bring it in!!! I would love to not ask parents to bring in anything.

So far I have purchased...
    36 view binders
    150 two pocket folders (bulk hopefully won't have to buy any next two years)
    120 highlighters
    100 blue ink pens
    30 scissors
    200 mechanical pencils
    36 .5mm lead refills
    36 .7 mm lead refills
    144 spiral notebooks
    30 pencil boxes
    50 dry erase markers
    36 pair of baby socks (great finger erasers for lap boards)
    150 packs of the Staples penny pencils

I don't expect parents to supply anything, I know some parents will and some kids will want a special kind. I send out a letter explaining that "these" are the things we will need and I have some for students who don't bring them in. Most parents will still bring in some or all of the items. I tell each student that they are more than welcome to keep their own items in class or for homework. It doesn't matter who brought in what, I give each student what I expect them to have, their desks are all set up for them before they even get to school.

I know what is/isn't possible for you. I taught prek for 6 years before I Student Taught. I wasn't implying you needed to work like me, anymore then I should work like you. Two different worlds.

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I agree and it sounds like you are a wonderful, giving teacher. I'm so glad to see that carries up to 6th grade.

We had a horrible event take place last year with my 6th grader. We purchased all the school supplies and bagged them up. There was no 'meet the teacher' before school. Kids were expected to bring them on the first day of class. Now mind you this is a garbage bag full of stuff - huge. Well, instead of having my son take it on the bus, my husband dropped it by the school office before going to work. The lady in the office put his name on the bag and ensured that they'd get it to my son.

Well,,,,,,,,it never got to him. After a couple of days, he came home and let me know that some of his teachers were being kind of ugly telling him he better bring his supplies and you better figure out a way to take notes with or without supplies.....
    We were FURIOUS. We bought the supplies. Well, to try to make the story shorter......the office lost the entire bag!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We don't know if it went to another student or what, but my son never got his $60 worth of school supplies. The office tried to compensate by giving him cheap-o stuff that they give kids who don't bring anything. I had bought expensive stuff. So, I do understand being frustrated by giving stuff like that away to others. I never do that. If a child brings a fancy notebook or folder, I allow the child to keep that. if it happens to be something we just can't use in the classroom, I send it home with a note and tell the child he is so lucky he gets to take it home to use. I know those things are special to kids.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

ok, now that would p*ss me off. Someone obviously just took it from the office and that isn't right. I had a kid's birthday cupcakes taken from the office after a parent dropped them off. WTH????? Who does that?

I can't believe that a teacher would be so rude to a child even if he never bought any supplies (actually I can-that is another thread). Some parents really don't have the money especially right now. If a teacher really expects things to be there and they aren't they could call the parents or send a note, its not like a 12 year old can drive down to walmart to pick up a few things.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

Yeah and part of the way he was treated makes me protective of kids that don't have their materials. Regardless of why the child doesn't have materials,that child deserves the tools to learn. I emailed the teachers that made the comments and made a few of my own.

Someone stole cupcakes - unbelieveable!

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

Yup, right of the counter. People never cease to amaze me with their cruelty.