Question for teachers whose parent brings school supplies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skittleroo, Jul 17, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

When they bring them in do they just bring them in bags and you sort or do you have them sort.

I hate going through bags so I'd like them to sort. The kids are a little too young to do it themselves, but I'd love the parents to go through with or without kids and sort.

i thought about making signs for each supply so I can atleast have a pile of kleenex, a pile of paper, a pile of crayons.

What do you do???

3. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

I end up sorting it myself on the first day of school. We have some parents that bring in their child, but most ride the bus. I have heard of teachers setting up boxes with the things they want inside and have the kids do it when they come in.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I used to set up boxes when I taught 2nd and the kids sorted. But 1st graders seemed more attached to the items they brought. They didn't want to leave them in the boxes.

Of course if they bring supplies on the first day I will sort, but I was wondering about Early supply drop-off.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

I think in K you could certainly have kids give you items- have them dump out their bags at their seats...Then say 'Hold your box of Kleenex over your head'...mark down who is missing Kleenex, have the kids pile them up in a designated spot and move onto the next item...would be more manageable if you had a para in your class...

6. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

I have laundry baskets with pictures and labels of what goes in that laundry basket. For open house or even the first day of school, they can go through with my para-pro or their parents and put the things in the correct baskets. It works for all of us because the baskets are big enough they know what goes in and sturdy enough for everything. (THen we use the baskets for games throughout the year like basketball etc!)

7. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

We have a "visit day" where the parents bring their child by for a quick visit and bring supplies. While I am meeting the child and showing him/her things like the bathroom, sink, etc. and taking their picture, parents put away supplies Our rooms are built so that each child has a place for his/her tub (which is where work boxes, etc. go) and above is a little cabinet with a door (extra glue, tissues, paper towels,etc. are stored). I have notes posted so that parents know what goes in their tub and what goes in the cabinet above their tub. That only leaves rest mats and I have a rest mat rack for those. Before we got the cubbies, I had notes on each table for paper plates, tissues, etc. I also have Sharpie markers out so that parents can put their childs name on items.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

I have my kids keep them at their seats, and ask for each supply one by one.

9. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

Same here.

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I just rather not take time to do it with kids on the first day (except those that bring it that day). I rather use that time for other activities.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 17, 2009

I give the kids some fun seat work, then I go through supplies with each one, with a check off sheet (copy of supply list sent home). Some of the supplies go to their desks, some become community property, so I have to help. I don't like it though.

I will usually do about 4 kids, then we all do something else, then 4 more kids, then do another activity, throughout the day.

12. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I had boxes and signs outside the classroom under the coat rack. I asked parents to put the supplies in the marked boxes and it worked really well! It didn't take too long either...maybe 10 minutes for everyone to finish (20 students), if I remember correctly.

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

We meet with parents 1-1 before school starts, and I request that they all bring all supplies to their meetings.
    Kim

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

I have also put post-its on my long counter labeled with the various supplies I have asked for.

I have done it both ways, and would rather spend 5-10 minutes collecting the supplies I want. Otherwise, some try to keep everything in their locker, and I also do not know who has and hasn't brought things in.

15. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

I instruct the parent to leave the supplies at the childs desk or cubby. I do a supply sort with the whole class on the first day. That is also the time that I teach the students how to keep their desks orderly.

16. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 17, 2009

This is kinda like my system. I LOVE school supplies. Shopping for them, looking at them, opening them smelling them. But I CANNOT STAND sorting them on the 1st day!! I saw on a teacher's website that they put everything in a large brown grocery sack at the student's seat. Then they collect the materials as needed. I went ahead and got enough bags for my students as well as dh's. I think it'll work great. The bag will sit upright and won't junk up the area.

17. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

On the first day of school, I give each student a checklist for their supplies. I love this time killer... I can walk around and interact with my students while also doing an informal evaluation of each of them-- Did they follow my instructions? Who is prepared? Who is overly prepared? Most of the items on their list will remain with them. The few remaining supplies (extra pack of loose-leaf paper, Kleenex, Ziploc baggies, and paper towels) will be placed on the counter or a table to be put away in the cupboards. I do not like the idea of community supplies whatsoever especially in the upper grades... I don't even really like them in the lower grades. I want kids to use THE supplies that their parents actually bought them. Seriously, I don't want my child using someone else's RoseArt crayons that have been handled by a sick child whose germs are now all over it. Sorry if I sound rude but... I paid the extra five cents for my child to have a "better" brand of crayon. Also, I want to protect my child's health at all costs. Hope I don't sound like too much of a snob.. I just don't like sharing all the time. :)

18. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 18, 2009

Oh, you really don't want to get me started on the subject of shared school supplies. . . .

Because some of you won't like it.

19. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 18, 2009

ok, now I want to know....

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 18, 2009

I just sort them out myself during planning or when the kids are at lunch. Not all kids bring them the 1st day so you'd have some kids sitting there for a 1/2 hour doing nothing. Plus I usually have to be a little creative in where to put everything because I don't have a lot of storage.

The ziploc bags, tissues, soap, wipes are always going to be community supplies (unless you have the kids keep theirs in desks or something-you can't do that in primary), I think that's what the poster above was referring to.

21. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

Like a few other's have said, I put out a row of boxes under my whiteboard and attach a picture label to show what should go in each box. I also draw a desk on the board and put picture labels on the desk to show what should stay at their desk. So when the kids come for meet the teacher day (2 days before school starts) they can sort their supplies. A few will bring supplies the first day and I'll just grab their crayons and scissors to use that day and sort the rest that afternoon after school.

Using picture labels has been so helpful since my 1st graders can sort while I talk to mom and dad.

22. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

We've had this discussion before, and some teachers (and parents) believe that there should be no community classroom supplies. Children should all use the items that they bring for their own personal use. Some teachers collect everything that children bring in and put it out for general classroom use. I think this is more common in the younger grades (esp. K). It has been the source of many debates on these forums!
    Kim

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

I have tried it both ways (collecting supplies and not collecting supplies). When I didn't- none of the kids had any supplies after about a month or so. When I distribute things they do. My list is fairly small and cheap (can be purchased for $10-$15- maybe less if they shop around). 95% of my parents send the supplies in, and I usually buy enough to cover the rest. If they have something special, by all means they can keep it.
    I usually collect:
    -pencils
    -notebook paper
    -germ-ex

and any of the special supplies from my wish list.

They keep their pencil box with the glue sticks, crayons/markers/colored pencils etc.

24. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

I usually just throw them all together and sort them after school. I do not have a long list of things for the kids to bring in, so it does not take too long

25. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

I have 6 kids that I have to buy school supplies for so I spend more than most parents here I'm sure. If I buy something specifically that I want my child to have, I give it to him/her. But I don't have a problem with the teacher taking up supplies so that everyone has enough - as long as the requests are reasonable. I know my child will appropriately use materials better that way than keeping them all.

I teach the little ones and I'm sorry I have no problem giving other kids the tools they need to learn. As a teacher I spend sooo much that parents don't provide and stuff I want to provide above and beyond.

I believe educating our kids in this country is the responsibility of all its citizens. Like with anything else, some pull their weight and some don't.

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 18, 2009

Oh, is it a hot topic? Heated debate? As for me, I have personal items as well as community items. I would never take a kids personal supplies for the whole class though.

27. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

I agree, I take up the standard things: hand sanitizer, pencils, paper, erasers, and post-its. The special items they keep to themselves. Most of my students figure out that the only what is on my labeled boxes is what I want. Very few of them actually ask me about certain items.

28. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

Me too.

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

I do not do community supplies nor do I believe in the practice.

At the start of the year, each child gets a box of crayons, some pencils, a clipboard, and a pencil box. I continually supply paper.

I explain that when I give them a pencil, it's still my pencil, I'm just loaning it to them. The same for the crayons and pencil box.

I have an ongoing request for donations of supplies - paper, pencils, etc.

I probably spend about $40 of my own money at Target to start the year.

I don't really require kids to have all that much other than a backpack and a uniform. I try to get them to bring a water bottle, but most of them don't, so I'll ask parents to donate a case of bottled water when it gets hot, then we reuse the bottles.

All in all, I'm a pretty cheap date.

30. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 21, 2009

I have college students who expect their pencils and paper supplied to them because that's how it was throughout their years of public school. They have no idea how to organize and KEEP their own supplies! It's laughable, and I laugh at them for it. And so do my older students. It's only the younger ones who have this mindset; my older adult students are as disgusted and amazed as I am when a student asks for a pencil that second time. In COLLEGE. But I'd love to have a nickel for every student who has ever said to me, in honest bewilderment, "But my teachers ALWAYS have my stuff for me! I've never had to bring my own!" Good grief. Is that sad or what?

31. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

It has, indeed, been a hot topic, and a heated debate.

I teach PreK, so I think the things I ask for as supplies are different than what a 5th grade teacher asks for, and they lend themselves more to community supplies (things like tissues, hand sanitzer, markers and glue sticks for the art center). I supply, via school funds, all paper, pencils, liquid glue, crayons, scissors, journals, folders, etc. None of my supplies are for individual child use, but I make sure that is clearly noted on the supply list that gets mailed out during the summer, so parents don't buy those "special" items (like character-themed folders and super-expensive markers) that cost so much money. I'm all for generic and cheap. And a parent who isn't even shopping sales should be able to hit the dollar store and get everything I ask for and pay about $6.
    Kim

32. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

I have them put their individual stuff in their desks and the "communal" stuff (kleenex, squirts, ziploc bags...) outside my room and have one of the parents that just can't tear themselves away sort and put it away in the cupboard outside my room. Works like a charm!

33. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I'm sorry to say that I agree with NOT sharing crayons, pencils, scissors. We also use lots of anti bacterial soap, too!

34. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

I didn't realize the donated items were for sharing. I have a supply list: Things I expect them to have in class. Pecils, pens, highlighters, binder, etc.

I have a wish list: Things I would like donated to the class. Extra highlighters, pens, dry erase markers, etc. BUT the students don't "share" them, I give them one if they lose theirs or if theirs dries out. I also give nicer ones away as prizes (gel pens). We don't "share" them though.

35. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I'm sorry I understand the "reasoning" behind not sharing.....make em responsible for their own stuff--if their parent doesn't care then why should I---I should only pay for my kid.......

Unfornately, if kids do not have the materials they need to learn, they wind up draining our welfare system. I'd rather buy them a box of crayons or have them share than tell a 5 year old, "too bad, so sad for you...."

I certainly did not start this thread expecting to defend sharing. Shall I put each child's name on his/her box of kleenex and only allow them to get a kleenex from their box. Oh, and what if they didn't bring a box, allow snot to run from their nose???

Again I pay TONS of money each year providing school supplies for 5 of my 6 kids. I know these supplies will be communal. I have absolutely no problem with any of my children's classmates using a kleenex from a box I purchased. I certainly don't want a child sharing his/her germs with my child.

36. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

now I think this makes sense. But you teach 5th grade. I teach kinder. You cannot expect a 5 year old to be able to keep up with these things as well as an 11 year old.

37. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

I provide materials for the kids in my class who do not come with them. I buy tissues in bulk from costco so that we never run out. I'm sorry, but the items that I buy for my children should not be given out for others to use because those belong to my kids. I send in donated items for my sons' classes. In my class we don't "share" supplies because of germs, not because parents should provide blah blah blah. My kids school was shut down during state testing for a week and a half this year for the Swine Flu. My Niece came home two years ago with MRSA. So forgive me if I like to be a little cautious.

38. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I do as well - provide materials for those that do not come with them. And as far as crayons, scissors and things like that - it does make sense to have their own. I ensure that ALL students have all the supplies they need. I will not reserve a box of crayons. If they are there, we use them. (Now, no child is ever denied or has to sacrifice a supply - I have 60 boxes of crayons). when I am handing out boxes of crayons (because they don't keep 2 boxes at their seats and expect them to stay there until the end of the year) I give everyone a box - whether they brought any or not. I don't care if a parent wrote their name on the box. every child gets the same thing. So, actually it's coming out of my pocket - no one else's.

I also purchase markers, gel pens, and other fun things to use. I do not purchase enough to ensure every child has their own set. We share. It's my stuff that I allow them to use. Could they obtain germs from sharing these items. Yes. Could they obtain germs from using items at centers? Yes. This list goes on and on. I am as careful and caution as I can be, but certain things have to be shared. I'd not opening 22 boxes of kleenex to ensure every child only gets a tissue from their box. I don't know ANY teacher who does this.

I understand the concern over germs and we wash our hands, desks, and other areas in the room. However, 5 year olds touch - whether they are sharing supplies or not. My job is to teach and ensure they are engaged in great learning experiences. So that takes precedence.

our school supply list states which items are "owned" by the student - things like scissors and things that become community property. I become the "trustee" for the supplies. If I run out because I allow students to use pencils haphazardly, then I must replace them. But to think I am going to allow a kindergarten to keep her 4 packs of pencils separate from everyone else's packs of pencils AND then go to her specific pack of pencils when she needs one is ridiculous.

WE All get what we need and that is that.

39. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I agree, except with don't have school funds that these things are bought with. Parents provide them (and most of the time more so the teacher).

We also let parents know which items are communal and not to buy special things and which things are individual (like crayon boxes).

I did notice that opinions on this thread are divided between early and late elementary lines. Primary grade teachers pretty much have individual and commmunal items while older grade teachers believe everything should be individualized.

40. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I teach 3rd so my students separate the items that I pick up and the items that they keep at their desks. Each student has a paper bag at their desk so they can put all items that do not stay at their desk in the bag. School supplies is one of the very few things that I do not like about my job. I am also thinking that this coming year I am going to have a check-off to see what school supplies students are bringing to school.:dizzy:

41. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

Big difference between Kinder and 6th grade, they are at their seats where all of their materials are. There isn't a need for sharing. My school doesn't supply me with very much of anything. I am flat broke from going to sales this month, I am taking money out of my vacation fund to get through until the end of the month BECAUSE no one in my class will ever go without a needed supply.