Question for teachers w/ websites and blogs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Jul 25, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2008

How do you get the parents to read the blogs? I plan on doing my weekly newsletter in the form of a blog next year (I have always sent out a group email before.)

It's possible to subscribe to updates for both the website I have and my blog.... the question is, how can I guarantee the parents do? I have a responsible parent group (private school) and as far as I know they read my weekly emails before... however, if I send an email with the link to the blog, AND they sign up for the blog, AND they sign up to get updates from the website, it's possible they will get three emails on Monday just from my newsletter... PLUS Monday is when the school sends out it's email.

I plan on updating the website every couple weeks with a calendar, attachments of new HW and things like that. The blog will be once a week.

What to do, what to do??

http://www.classjump.com/jessicatls/

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

Does it show you when they sign up for the email and the blog? If so, then you wouldn't have to email them the links. That would eliminate them getting 3 emails.

4. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

One thing I did last year was have parents sign up for email notifications on my website at parent/teacher conferences. I didn't have a single parent turn down the suggestion, either. This year I'm going to have computers set up at Academic Night to get them to subscribe to my website and blog so that they can be kept in the loop as to what is going on in the classroom.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2008

Thanks Calalilys. That is Brilliant! Then I won't have to send them the links at all... bravo!

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

Glad to be of some help :)

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

I like the e-mail idea! Maybe I'll try and go more electronic this year...

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

Just visited your site and blog. I think I am going to try and set up the blog- it looks like it's through blogspot.com?

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

Yes, both of my blogs are through blogspot.com, which I have found to be very user friendly.