Question for successful subs...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nikkiJ, Oct 26, 2009.

1. nikkiJ

nikkiJ Rookie

Oct 26, 2009

I've decided to sub after failing to get a job after three interviews. Problem is, I've been on sub lists before and gotten few calls. For all of those subs who work regularly, how did you establish yourself as a "go-to" sub for a particular campus or district? I need IDEAS!! (also, I live in an area where there aren't very many requirements for subs, so the sub-lists can be VERY long.)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2009

Sometimes it takes awhile to get called on regularly...long enough for the teachers to get to know you and the work that you do to start requesting you regularly. Put out business cards or flyers to the different schools in the district. Are you certified? This could help you as well, and I would suggest putting that on the cards/flyers. Good luck!

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2009

A lot of it depends on the district. If it's a district that allows teachers to request their own subs then try to make as many contacts as you can. Also, subbing in harder to fill jobs (like special education, math, science, PE, ect.) can help you to get more jobs. So much of it is how many "go to" subs a school already has from last year and how many subs total are in there pool. If you can get on the list for a few districts that can help you out even more. Good luck!

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 26, 2009

I left a detailed report, tried earnestly to learn students names...followed the lesson plan. I put a check by tasks as I complete them...If something isn't finished or has a problem I note it on the lesson plans. Then at the end of the day I write up a report on how the day went. I make every effort to name students who were great at certain parts of the day, especially if I have to report a student had issues listening. I also leave my ID #, phone number and schedule available. I show up early to make sure I know where everything is in a classroom and at a school I am unfamiliar with. I did print out business cards, I used the image on my profile. I also made sure to specify I was a licensed teacher.

I gave cards to teachers and to the office.

6. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Oct 26, 2009

Say yes to every job. Every. Job. Offered. Once in a classroom follow the plans, leave a note detailing what happened (good and bad), how they can get a hold of you if they have questions/concerns and information on how they can request you again.

In addition to that, go in and introduce yourself to the secretaries. I did that, gave them my card and told them that if they ever needed an "emergency" sub that I live 15 minutes away and would help them out if I wasn't working already. Introduce yourself to as many other teachers as you can. If you have a free prep, walk around the building with your business cards in hand and talk to the other teachers who are free at the same time. (Don't linger, just introduce yourself and state why you're interrupting their plan time.) Also, sit in the lounge at a table with the other teachers. It can be awkward at first, but eventually everyone should warm up to you. (Bringing Christmas cookies helped. :) )

Finally, make friends with the paras. They are the only ones who see you in action and if you develop a good rapport with them they will more than likely suggest you to the other teachers in the building. Be friendly, open and respectful with the students as well. Know your boundaries and enforce them, with every student. They'll notice this and respect you for it. In addition, show them the note left by the teacher if they question why they are doing the activities.

Hope this helps!

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2009

Make a simple flyer and mention your credential, your BA subject area, and any state subject matter tests you've passed, then go to the schools dressed like a teacher and introduce yourself. All you need is your foot in the door at a few schools. I get a lot of positive feedback just because I show up smiling and keep that smile going all day. I've heard that many subs show up grouchy and stay that way all day! And, develop the ability to be well-liked by the students while still accomplishing most of the lesson plan. I actually try to teach and tutor the students, and I take an interest in their well-being. I've had more than a few teachers say they ask me back because the students like me (and I'm not young and hip, I'm as old as some of their grannies).

p.s. Of course, the very first step is to sign up at the district where you want to sub.

8. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Oct 27, 2009

I heard about a new sub that made cookies and attached her card to them and left the basket in the teacher's lounge. I just made cards with magnets on the back and I have a pre-made sub note paper with all my information on it and it also has my sub notes. Things will pick up. Good Luck!

9. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 27, 2009

It gets better once you've been around the block and are a "known" quantity. Like the others, let them know you're available and leave your contacts for future requests.

I've gotten a lot more work at the district I sub at as a regular after a full school year; it's also more enjoyable for you because you will have recognized and know a some of the students from past assignments too.

I'm also signing up at another district to get more work and stay active as well.