question for SPED teachers

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by lcluigs03, Mar 31, 2008.

1. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Mar 31, 2008

ok, i just wanted to ask a general questions to hopefully get some insight on the "duties" of SPED teachers. please don't take offense as i have no idea what your job intails (fill me in! that's why i'm asking here), but i just want some clarification.

1. at my school we are "class within a class." what should the SPED teacher be doing with the students that are on his/her "list?" does he/she make the modifications or does the regular teacher?

2. when the students aren't in the class, what should the SPED teacher be doing with those students or what should the aides be doing with them?

3. tell me how things work at your school...i'm curious. i will evenutally end up being a class within a class and would like to have some ideas to help the students be successful. thanks!

thanks for your input.
    LC

3. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

well...um...guess no one is around here much or just not willing to give the information. it's ok...i'm sure it's a strange question. i'll ask elsewhere.

LC

4. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 4, 2008

Not a strange question--but maybe needs some clarity. I, for one, am not sure what you mean by "class within a class" so it's hard for me to comment, and also if we knew what types of needs the students you are mentioning have we could know better how to answer your question. I think that's why no one responded yet--please don't be offended!

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 4, 2008

Are you an inclusion class?

6. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Apr 6, 2008

class within a class is where the SPED kids are in the room for the entire day and the SPED teacher teaches in the room as well. so while the regular ed teacher is teaching, the SPED teacher is teacher her group in the back of the room.

i don't have any special ed kids yet, i was just asking to see if anyone knew.

yes, i am an inclusion class...i teach everything...math, science, social studies, reading, language, spelling etc. ( i don't teach PE music or art)

what do you THINK a sped teacher might do in this type of classroom? should THEY do the modifications of lessons/assignments that the regular ed teacher is doing? or do you think it's the SPED teachers job to do modifications i the IEP says.

thanks.
    LC

7. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 6, 2008

In our system we have a similar model which we refer to as co-teaching. The sped and gen ed teachers work together to do the lesson planning, and the sped teacher, having the background in special education, is the one to come up with and implement many of the modifications, as well as to do the paperwork for the students. However, both teachers work together to come up with ideas. All students (sped and gen ed) are involved in the main lesson together, which might be taught by either or both teachers. Then, during small group and individual work, the sped teacher "takes care of" his/her students, doing reteaching, modifications, etc. Does that help? I know there have been threads on this forum regarding co-teaching before, so looking up some of those might also give you some info!
    BC

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 6, 2008

This is the way that I have seen it also, but the reg. ed. and spec. ed. teacher took turns leading the whole class in the lesson and they also took turns working with the spec. ed. students, so that the reg. ed. teacher could do it when she did not have support in the classroom.

It worked great but the principal never took into account that one classroom in each grade level had the majority of the spec. ed. students when he looked at state testing results.

9. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

THANK YOU! that's the way we are SUPPOSED to do it, but i was just wanting to compare it with someone else's experience. we aren't too happy with our SPED dept right now. granted, it's none of my busines because i don't have SPED kids, but i really hate seeing my team members this stressed out.

LC

10. Ms.S60074

Ms.S60074 Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

If the SPED teacher is spending all of her time with the SPED kiddos, she shouldn't even be in the class then. It should be a pull-out program. Is this an issue of space and lack of a resource room? Otherwise, a co-teaching model should be adopted and the two certified teachers work together to plan and instruct ALL of the students in the class. I always looked at my co-teacher (when I was in middle school) as being the 'content' expert and I was the 'learning' expert. We colloborated and found new ways to re-teach things to kids that needed extra help.

11. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Apr 9, 2008

space isn't an issue. the teacher's have their own room with a table to work at. i'm not really sure why they have them in the room all the time and don't pull them out. i'm guessing it's an inclusion thing...don't know. it would be nice if the sped teachers worked with the regular ed teachers, but that's not taking place either. our sped teacher copies our plan book and then does whatever she wants. if she wants to work with the kids, she does. if she doesn't work with them, she doesn't. sometimes she'll even work with kids that AREN'T on her case load.

anyway, i'm not sure of all the details of what goes on at our school. i was just asking to see what others do.

thanks for the input!

LC

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 1, 2008

I was a LTS in a NY school and had 1 inclusion class. I was the regular ed teacher at the time and there was a Sp ed teacher and 1 aide. I ended up doing all of the work (making up tests and assignments). The sp ed teacher would just get involved when she felt like it or didn't like my assignments. Both teachers should work together to help the student get all the information the regular ed kids are getting just with extra help from sp ed teacher. I hope nobody had an experience like I had! :down: