Question for Special Education Teachers

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by nattoe, Mar 21, 2011.

1. nattoe

nattoe Rookie

Mar 21, 2011

Hello everyone. I am in an Alt Certification Program here in Texas and I am taking my Special Education Exam in May. I just wanted to find someone to talk to about special education. I don't know anyone that is a special education teacher and I would like to hear what it is like on a day to day basis in your classrooms. I tried to observe in a class but due to privacy the school wouldn't allow it. I am really looking forward to teaching special education. I hope to hear back from all you special ed teachers here on the forum.

nattoe

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2011

I think a big part of teaching special needs children is to prepare to celebrate the little gains. It will take your students much longer to master skills, and they probably will not master grade level skills. you are going to have a tremendous amount of paperwork and planning. you will need to be prepared to train your children in social skills, self help skills, as well as academic.
    It will be one of the most personally satisfying jobs you could ever have!

4. nattoe

nattoe Rookie

Mar 22, 2011

Thank you so much swansong. I cannot wait!

5. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

Mar 29, 2011

It is BUSY, BUSY, BUSY! Keep yourself in focus by appreciating all the things the kids can do, and try to make academic work as interactive as possible. Tap into any prior knowledge that the kids have, get the parents involved immediately and work closely with them on not only academics, but behaviors. Lean on as many people as you can and get chummy with the front office staff and related service providers- you never know when you might get in a jam and need as much help as they can provide!

6. d12brown

d12brown Rookie

Apr 10, 2011

In addition to what has already been said . . .

BE ORGANIZED! The paperwork can be overwhelming if you are not organized and keep up with it. I keep a running calander with reminders of when to enter SHARS, when to post grades, when ARDs are coming up. I even have post it notes on the desk to remind me to collect data on specific students. I try to collect data twice a week, but often some IEP goals get pushed into the another day.

Revel in the great days. Enjoy the good days. Take a deep breath on the bad days.