Question for Previous First Grade Teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Torgie, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Torgie

Torgie Rookie

Jul 18, 2017

Hello,

I have a quick first grade math question. I am switching from Kindergarten at a private school to 1st grade at a public school.

I have been getting my lesson plans ready for the year, and I am wondering about the 1.G.1 standard for math where students need to distinguish between a non-defining attribute and a defining attribute. I was going to teach them those terms, but my husband thought that was crazy. I looked at EngageNY and noticed they don't use the terms defining and non-defining in their lesson plans. I have noticed other teachers on TpT do use the terms.

Can any other 1st grade teachers give me their thoughts? What do you or your math program do? Thanks!!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2017

Have you asked about your new school's curriculum? Before you go writing all these lesson plans, you may want to find out what they already have in place. Honestly, I wouldn't put much time and effort into this until you've had a chance to talk with your colleagues and see your curriculum.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Jul 24, 2017

I agree with bella84 I would wait to check out your school's curriculum before I started writing a bunch of lesson plans. It would be awful to spend all that time on them and then not be able to use them! I understand wanting to be on top of things but there is no sense in making extra work for yourself if it isn't needed. I hope you enjoy working with 1st graders. This is going to be my 3rd year in 1st grade and I am looking forward to meeting my new students in a few weeks :)