Question for people who leave their dogs at home while on vacation or who pet sit!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jun 26, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 26, 2011

I'm curious how often they come over to let the dog out to the bathroom? I am petsitting a dog and cat for the first time and I am supposed to be there between 8-9am and 6-7pm for feeding, bathroom/walk/play, etc.... I feel like that is such a long stretch during the day for the dog and then again from the evening til the morning.

This is their first time leaving their dog (and cat) at home.

How often do you expect the person to stay to play etc? I'm there for about 20-30 minutes and I always feel sad as I'm leaving because I know he would want to play more! I think I will just stay a little longer tomorrow...today was day 3 out of 6 days....

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 26, 2011

9-6 would be an average work day time for me to be gone from my boys (adjusted of course by earlier times for school). Hardly ever is there an accident, unless one of them gets sick. When we're gone they spend the day napping, watching the neighborhood goings-on out the deck window, napping some more, and just chilling out. I wouldn't worry about that much time in between for bathroom breaks.

For playing: Well my oldest dog would play for about 5-10 minutes and be worn out. My youngest dog would play for 2 hours and still want more. I think a good 20-30 minutes each day is great play time. Long walks for fun are also a way he loves to spend time. If the neighborhood seems safe, then you can take him for a walk. He'll like the variety of the sights and smells.

When I did my dog sitting I actually stayed at one house that had multiple animals, and drove to another at appointed times to help take care of animals. This was on top of my normal job and summer school classes.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2011

I worked for a top pet sitting company for many years. Our shortest visit was 30 minutes. The length of time a dog can wait for the bathroom depends upon the dog's individual routine. personally, if I were out of town, I'd want my own dog let out in the morning, midday and at bedtime (these are the times she's used to going potty).

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 27, 2011

I can't imagine leaving them totally alone for 6 days with the exception of two potty visits. I would hire someone to stay at my house so they are there in the evening and over night even if it's just popping in and out like I do over the course of the day.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

I think any dog should be out to potty 3 times a day. When my son leaves his dog, the sitter comes early morning, afternoon and later in the evening.