Question for parents about School Supplies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hojalata, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

I have tables, not desks. Each table had a bucket and everyone put their box of supplies in that bucket. It became time consuming to find their box...and if they went to a different area to work (like literacy stations ) then they would have to go get their box.

I like the idea of them just being able to grab any old pencil. I plan on spending more community building this year and discussing the supplies. I am hoping this will alleviate the "I want that pencil!" type of stuff.

I remember I had one girl who had to make sure her box was perfectly neat and organized before she came down to the carpet. She'd straighten that box out 3383874539 times a day.

2. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

:lol:

3. luludc

luludc Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

For the reasons mentioned, I have personal crayon boxes, rather than community. However, lots of kids STILL don't take care of their crayons and they wind up on the floor.

Glue, scissors, etc. are community. Honestly, I can't believe parents have enough time on their hands to be concerned about what kind of glue sticks their five year olds are using for cut and paste time. I'm lucky if the parents in my school buy supplies at all, or even send their child to school in clean clothes every day. I don't have enough time or energy to bring myself to be concerned about the brand of glue the children use.

4. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

My husband and I work in an extremely low income district. We supply almost EVERYTHING for our students (me - 65, him - 125/year) because the families will not send in what we ask for - we are lucky if they come with pencils. So I already shop for all the school supplies. :)

Our son is 4 and starting preschool this fall in our home district. I haven't received his teacher's list yet, but our neighbor's son is attending the same school/grade(different teacher) and has received his and I assume they will be fairly similar. There is a lot on the list and we are more than happy to track down and purchase all of the items. So, as a teacher I like the idea you proposed, because I already do it. But honestly, as a parent, I want to purchase my son's supplies. (I also prefer that he use his own supplies, not community supplies, but that's a whole different post!)

5. wb929

wb929 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

As a parent I would be happy to just pay for the supplies and let the teacher get them. Then I know that my child has exactly what is needed. I would guess, however, that you would get several parents who 'forget' to pay you for them.

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

Parents (like my sister I mentioned) simply want the best for their children. Then feel disappointed when they spend the extra money and their child is not using what they feel is the best.

My students' parents aren't struggling to put food on the table. They are astronauts, doctors and engineers. They buy the best because their child is the best thing that ever happened. And the moms live up at the school and do have time to worry about what kind of glue their kid is using.

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

Very true. Exactly why I collect money in advance!

8. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I would love to provide the supplies and have parents pay a fee at registration or something. That would solve so many problems. I would not want them to reimburse me, however, because with my demographics I would never see the money. We make very specific supply lists and still don't get what we ask for. We asked for 4 plastic/poly folders: 2 yellow, 2 red. We got some plastic, some paper and instead of red and yellow we got blue, green, purple, orange, Hannah Montanna and so on. And then parents don't get the quantities you ask for such as bringing in 2 dry erase markers instead of 4 or don't bring supplies at all. It is very frustrating. Not to mention sorting it all out at the beginning of the year.

I prefer all the folder colors to be the same because it takes so much longer if you say, "Get out your reading folder." Then some kids can't find theirs or they have to read each label on the folders to see if it's the right one. It is so much easier to say, "Get out your green reading folder." Then they just have to find the right color. I know many more teachers that feel this way than teachers that don't.

As for community supplies I am torn. I tried allowing each student to keep their own supplies last year and it seemed like they lost them faster than when the supplies were in a tub on the table. But at the same time I realize that they went shopping for the just right item and want to keep them so it makes it hard to take everything and then dole them out as needed. So this year I am back to community supplies.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

We have very similar thoughts! As I was reading this I was thinking, "Well, if they would just get the items that are on the list, there wouldn't be any complaining about that 'special' pencil or folder that wasn't on the list anyway."

I think I am going back to community supplies as well.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

I have a huge box of flimsy folders. If they bring a flimsy, no good folder, I just buy them the one I want. Or I see if I can make trades with other members on my grade level.

I think it is much easier to have the same color folders/spirals/etc.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

As a parent I would love it. Often the sales are way before the list comes out. I hate the community bins, but if the teacher buys everything, the community bins would work fine.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

Please not only run it by the principal, but your district financial person too.

Our school did this for many years.There are rules and regs about accepting money without having prior approval or an account set up.....Im not sure on the specifics though. Our district money person put the kibash on it because of that and the possible impropriety of it all.

Last year the PTA bought supplies from a company and you could send in money and your supplies would be in a box on your student's desk on the first day. The problem came when the supplies in the box weren't the supplies on the list.

THis year we've asked for $15 from each child for supplies. With that money we order the things that are hard to find--special notebooks, good erasers...etc

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

That 15 is in addiditon to a supply list that the parents buy...

14. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

After reading research about the way people in general treat community property versus private property, I decided to cut the community supplies. It's working out well for me. The only thing I keep community property is pencils.

Also, my mom was horrified one year when she found I took school supplies and made them community property. She said, "They spent all that time picking out exactly what they wanted and you just take it away?!"

I guess if the teacher buys the supplies it doesn't matter though!

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 12, 2009

I think I'm going with community supplies. I teach K and I think it is more appropriate for that age.