Question for Online Professors

Discussion in 'College' started by thechangingtabl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Apr 10, 2009

I am taking my first online masters class. Any suggestions, links, good reads, etc., on being a successful online student??

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 10, 2009

Being a successful online student is the same as being a successful classroom student. Read the syllabus, know what's expected of you, turn in assignments on time, stay organized. It's really as simple as that.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 10, 2009

Oh, and follow directions.

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 12, 2009

What mmswm said up there!

Be sure you log in when you're supposed to! I can't stress enough the importance of turning things in on time, and that goes for regular classwork as well as online work. Check your syllabus carefully; most college level classes do not accept late work at all! I don't.

Remember that your professor can easily see who's been online and who hasn't. He/she will also know how long you're been on the site.

Can you turn your work in via the website? If so, you'll be able to tell whether or not your professor has opened your file.

EXTREMELY important: If your own internet goes out, do your work somewhere else! No access is not a viable excuse!

6. Grace

Grace Companion

Apr 18, 2009

I'm not a professor, but I am finishing up my masters, and much of it has been online. The most important thing for me was to learn to check my classes every single day, and to really keep up with my work. It can sometimes be hard to be motivated to do so when you never see your class or professor... it can all feel very "removed." I know this semester I have been less than motivated at times to get all of my stuff done! But trust me, you do NOT want to get behind! Good luck!

7. thechangingtabl

Apr 19, 2009

Thank you. One of the things that I just cannot get right is the reading. Do you read the chapter straight through? Or do you read and highlight or underline as you read? Or do you take notes on what you read? This is all strategy of course.

Or just read the questions she wants answered and then find the info in the book. I don't have time to re-read over and over again!

I read but can barely remember what I read! I am trying to figure out the best way for me to learn.

Being the student again is tough!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2009

You might try skimming the chapter, then looking at the questions with the chapter in mind, then reading for the answers. If taking notes helps you retain the material, then take notes; if reciting it aloud - arguing with the book, even - helps you retain it, then that might be something to try. In any case, it's vital that you look for connections between what you already know and what it is that the chapter is adding to what you know, because then your brain will have hooks on which to hang the new information it's getting.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 19, 2009

I find skimming the chapter with an eye for unfamiliar words, learning the definitions of the words, then going back and re-reading helps me retain the info the best.

10. thechangingtabl

May 2, 2009

Thanks for the tips. This class is so much work! I am doing the highlighting and pen thing. It is most visual for me.

I have three things due by Sunday midnight and I am such a procrastinator. I have two more weeks left of this 5 week class and whew! 9 more classes after this to be done! I can do it!

I am taking classes at Arkansas State University.

11. HiFlyer

HiFlyer Rookie

May 3, 2009

Don't procrastinate! (That's for me as much as anyone else) :) Procrastination has to be the biggest mistake made by students, whether on campus or online. But for the off-campus distance student, procrastination is easier, since you have no classes to attend, so it's even more important that you don't slack off and delay doing your reading, paper drafting, and so on. All the best - only a few weeks to go!

12. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 8, 2009

I'm currently enrolled in an M.Ed Secondary Ed. Program

For the book readings I color coordinate the reading material with hi-lighters. For web readings I take notes and then color coordinate them.

For example:

Relational Ethics (pink) - developing caring school environments that promote personal happiness.(orange)

13. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

I am about to complete my M.Ed through an online program. The best advice is what others have shared...don't let things fall to the last minute. Make a set time when you will work on classwork and stick to it.

You'll do great! It can be a lot of work, esp. in you have shorter terms, but it is worth it. I have kept a 4.0 in my M.Ed program.