Question for NY certified teachers ONLY! Rural area teachers please respond.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2017

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 28, 2017

I know I'm not ny but next door with a similar setup, P-3 and K-6. I have only ever seen some jobs which specifically ask for PK-3. In my experience, the P-3 get hired in K-2 and K-6 is hired for more grade levels. I personally wouldn't bother adding it with all your other certs. Once you finish this reading cert, you should be able to fall over backwards and land in a job.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 30, 2017

Honestly, the B-2 cert is only useful for teaching K in a public school (unless they have pre-k in public schools up there too). I HIGHLY doubt that's what's holding you back.

I just found out in my current school many of the teachers only have B-2 which was and is a problem because they needed more 3-5 teachers in various positions (which is why I was hired) so they couldn't move them. But that's good news for me because I want to stay in 4th and never go below 3rd.

Plus once you get your reading cert it'll be from B-6 anyways right? I have my Tech cert which is K-12 but I'll never use it beyond elementary grades. Maaaaaybe if I wanna redo tenure in the future and teach middle school tech.

Leaborb192 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 30, 2017

I earned my initial certification in New York, and have a lot of contacts from there. I have never heard anything making me think that B-2 would make things much easier for you. Most principals that I've ever met spend more time stressing about finding somebody able to teach the older grades, not the younger grades.

Leaborb192, Bunnie and AlwaysAttend like this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2017

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Oct 1, 2017

Small districts will always be pickier because they don't want to pay for training, typically have many graduates of the district applying, and every new person has a much greater impact on the community ecosystem.

Not to be mean but it sounds like your friend is also too picky or is lacking in ability or knowledge. She could be getting full time experience working in a private sped school at the very least. Or she just might interview very poorly and if that's the case, she probably wouldn't do well in front of 25 kids every day either.

Also, don't think about putting your name in for one district. You should be applying to every open positions you are qualified for within an hour commute. That should be around 500 jobs probably. You can be picky when they make offers.

bella84 likes this.
  8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 1, 2017

I'm in NY - a smaller district in Central NY for the moment though I've also worked in Western NY. I've seen postings asking for B-2 and 1-6 but usually in special ed, not gen ed. I teach special ed right now and it has come up that, in our district, there are a lot of us with 1-6 and very few of us with B-2 which is problem when we have kindergartners who need special ed services. My grade level is a little more steady because I'm in a self-contained classroom that services certain grades, but the other special ed teachers bump around, depending on the needs that particular year. So here at least, it would be considered a plus for sure. That said, I sat in on interviews this summer, and while we were always excited to see B-6 candidates and mentioned it in the post-interview discussion, it wasn't a major factor and 2 of the 3 people we hired only had 1-6. But again, that's special ed where a teacher is more likely to move around from year to year or provide services for multiple grade levels at the same time. I haven't seen many gen ed postings requiring B-2 unless it's a kindergarten position so if gen ed is what you're interested in, I don't think I'd go to the trouble, especially since you're heading toward reading certification in the relatively near future. I doubt that, in most cases, missing B-2 has been the deciding factor.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2017

AlwaysAttend likes this.