Question for non-union teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

I understand that a lot of districts and states have unions for their teachers that include legal representation for the teachers. My question for the non-union teachers is: How many of ya'll purchase teacher insurance through an agency like PAGE (Professional Association for Georgia Educators). I have for the last two years... wouldn't set foot in a classroom without it but I have a feeling that most other teachers don't. Is this a way to save $80 this fall or am I just unaware of other teachers purchasing it?

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 12, 2009

I'm glad you brought this up. I bought insurance last year through PENC (Professional Educators of NC.) My renewal notice come in the other day and I've been wondering what to do.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

I can't imagine anyone not having it in this day and age. I certainly pay for mine.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 12, 2009

I'm not a union person, it's just not an area of concern where I teach. When my superintendent hired me I asked him about it and he said he'd take care of any problems that arose.

A few teachers in my district are though. It's about $350 a year.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2009

I hadn't even heard of it before!?!?! We aren't union but we are protected through the school district (good question I will ask my superintendant, though).

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

We don't have unions. Instead we have agencies like APTA that provide resources if needed. I think they're between $75-80/yr. I definitely think its worth the money because you never know what might come up, even if you are doing everything right.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2009

I've always belonged to a professional organization that provides insurance and legal advice. I've needed the legal advice when a student was not acting properly in class and I needed to know what I could do about the situation. I'll not go into a classroom with it even though I'd rather spend the money on school supplies!:p

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 12, 2009

Do you have this in writing from your superintendent? Even though I am a union member and have one of the strongest unions backing me I would not enter a classroom today without some type of coverage. A parent this past year accused 2 fellow teachers of discriminatory actions. It was a mess. Our local had to get the state union involved. Fortunately the teachers were cleared. Not to have had some type of backing would have been a nightmare for these teachers.

10. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 12, 2009

I am not in a union, but I purchased insurance my second year of teaching when I realized how badly I might need it sometime. I agree with you. I wouldn't go in the class without it!

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 12, 2009

His word is honestly gospel.

I've seen several teachers in trouble and they were in the wrong, of course, the union still had to represent them. No one plans on making mistakes and they do happen. I'll have to do something if the Superintendent retires.

12. Teaching Grace

Jul 12, 2009

I'm glad that your Superintendent is such a great guy :) My district is so big, I'll just keep buying the insurance. I wanted to see who else happened to buy it though. I felt like the only one at my school.

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

The district can only do so much though. While they have a legal staff to help protect them from lawsuits (which in turn usually means protecting you) the real scare is a personal lawsuit. It may be different for female teachers but as a male there's simply no way I'm trusting my personal liability to the district. It is way too easy to make false accusations that become a mess far beyond just losing one's job.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

I'm in Georgia, and I stopped buying PAGE about fifteen years ago. I've never heard of anyone needing it. There have been a few instances where parents have sued about something (a child not getting into gifted class, what was felt to be discriminatory actions, a special ed student not being "properly" placed, not retaining a child) but the school system has always represented the teacher and the school.

Of course, none of the actions above ever involved a teacher being blatently "wrong".

Perhaps it's just our school system. They've done a great job of backing up teachers and schools. Or perhaps it's the atmosphere. Unless you are doing something that is obviously wrong, and on purpose, outside help isn't needed--at least where I live.

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

But remember that this is my situation only. Best to ask around your district and find out what the particulars are of any suits.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 13, 2009

I would keep it teaching-n-2. I know a teacher who called them in twice on Peterson and he had to concede. She joined MACE though. I'm not too sure what the difference is between the two though.

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

Me too... we have had too many incidences where the legal representation was needed due to lying students. I like to keep myself covered.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 13, 2009

I was a member of the local NEA group for a couple of years, but I noticed that they were very political and not very practical . . . at least here anyway. It was also close to $400 a year for membership. The only time I needed some questions answered, I got no replies.

So, I dropped that, but later joined with another group, Kentucky Association of Professional Educators, which is affiliated with AAE. It was much cleaper, and they've been quick to answer any questions.

For instance, one year a mid-year schedule change in lunch made it so that four of us had NO lunch opportunity except during our two planning times. Now, we weren't happy about getting 20 minutes less time than everyone else, but the main issue was that the cafeteria was CLOSED when we had breaks!

The two KEA members had a hard time getting an answer to their question . . . maybe two weeks for an answer. I got a reply from KAPE within a day, and they even did a follow-up with me a week later to see if the issue was resolved!

19. Teaching Grace

Jul 13, 2009

I'll definitely be keeping it. Just one of those things I was interested in. Proud, MACE is Metro-Atlanta... We had a teacher call them in on our principal and a vice-principal... totally unwarrented. But MACE showed up and picketted them one afternoon.

20. Susan82397

Susan82397 Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

I'm in Georgia too and I purchase PAGE every year. Our BOE takes it directly out of our paychecks. They split it up, so it's less that $10/month. Definitely worth it to me.

21. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

I am a NEA and GAE member, and I am very glad that they ARE political. They stand up for teacher's and students rights, and to make our working conditions better -they lobby and advocate for our benefit every day - something that PAGE here in Georgia does not do to my knowledge. I think my dues money is well spent.

I'm sorry you didn't get help when you needed it, I think it depends on the local representatives you have - ours is Great, always there when someone needs him.

22. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

Texas is a non-union state, but I'm currently a member of ATPE. College students are in the uninsured category, but once I start student teaching, I will pay so that I can be insured, just in case.

23. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

Rockgukev, you're right, things are definitely different for males. My BIL was accused at looking at a girl's breast, well yes, he looked, they were there hanging out of her blouse, she knew it, but he only glanced for a second. The girl's mother called him on it and had to sit in the P's office over it. It upset my BIL so badly he decided he'd retire and I'm talking about a great guy with a 34 year career w/no problems.

24. Teaching Grace

Jul 13, 2009

My college required us to buy insurance through the student portion of PAGE before we were allowed to do student teaching. PAGE gives discounts for each year you are subscribed. I'm glad that I asked this question. I didn't think that it would get this much response! lol

25. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 13, 2009

I belong to our local chapter of NEA also. While it could seem that they're a little pricey I'd rather pay them then lawyers fees and court costs. I've had to contact them once (on a Friday-at night) and they were very prompt and helpful. In my district NEA is the only one with barganing power. They have fought and won on many issues with our BOE most recently (and thank you God) getting our pay and steps unfrozen.