Question for middle school teachers

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by hp123, Feb 27, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

For those of you who teacher middle school 6-8 ...Did you major in elementary education with a middle school subject extension? Or in that specific subject 7-12?

Just curious

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 27, 2010

I am a History Major with and Ed. Minor. I started off years ago teaching MS English and History. I have a certification in 6-8 English, 6-8 History, and 6-12 History.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 27, 2010

I teach 5th grade in a middle school. I majored in elementary ed. and got my teaching license in elementary originally as well. When I was hired for my current position, I had to take the middle school English test to become licensed for the position.

If I had known I was going to teach middle school, I probably would have majored in English and secondary ed.

5. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

Beth,

Do you feel like majoring in Secondary Education is more useful to what you are teaching?

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 27, 2010

No, actually. Because I teach 5th grade, I think having a background in elementary reading (early literacy in general) has been more helpful to me than if I just had the English background. However, I'm technically not using my elementary license right now, so when it expires in 2 years, I'm not sure if I'll be able to renew. If I'm not able to, the middle school English license will be the only one that I have anyway.

I think that if you want to teach the other content areas, being a secondary ed. major would be beneficial as you'll have more time in content-related classes. I also think that applies for 7th and 8th ELA, but like I said, I think the elementary reading background is helpful when teaching ELA to the younger middle schoolers.

7. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

Around here at least, Middle school is 6-8. Most schools hire Elementary teachers to teach 6th grade, because they usually teacher more than one subject. For 7-8(which are the grades I'm really interested in teaching), they tend to be teachers with 7-12 certification. I think for the reason you stated, those teachers have more content knowledge.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2010

I hold an Illinois Type 03 certificate, which means that I am certified to teach all subjects grades K-9. I began teaching before there was such a thing as a middle school endorsement, so I don't have to have that to teach middle school. I do have endorsements in Social Science and English. When I was going to school, I thought I was going to be a lawyer, so I was a poli sci major until the end of my sophomore year, when I switched to elementary ed. I thought I wouldn't want to teach high school, so I went with the lower grades. Now, I wish I had that secondary certificate, as high school teachers make WAY MORE money here in Illinois.

9. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

Why is the pay higher for Secondary teachers?

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2010

I have secondary (9-12) English certification, and I did start out in the high school. My degree also allows me to teach grades 7-8 in departmentalized schools. I've taught 7th-8th grade for most of my career since that's where I landed a permanent position. AFter a few years, I really loved it.

I'm not as flexible within the schedule as those who hold middle school certification because those degrees are dual certification for two subjects in grades 5-8. That degree had just started when I was in college, and I didn't go for it because I planned to teach high school, and the middle schools here were all grades 7-8 only, so I could use my secondary degree.

We have a few "old fashioned" K-8 degrees in our building. They can teach any subject and any grade through 8. That certification is no longer offered, and those teachers are all nearing retirement.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2010

In NY, the certification is grades 7-12, so you'll be qualified for more jobs that way.

Plus, if the kids change classes and you're teaching one subject all day long, it makes more sense for you to have a real strong background in that subject matter than the liberal arts type of elementary ed certification.

12. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

What I shold do

I still think I shoudl just get the Secondary 7-12 certification. That would allow me to teacher 7 and 8th grade, and highschool.

I really want to teach Social Studies, and it just makes the most sense for me.

I can always go back and tack on another certification once I have th initial one.

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2010

That's a good question! I think kindergarten-second grade teachers should get the highest pay! :)