Question for home-based centers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by busybeeprek, Jan 15, 2012.

1. busybeeprek

busybeeprek Rookie

Jan 15, 2012

I am working on my floor plan and daily schedule and I have a question for those of you who have a home-based center. If you are going to have a separate time scheduled for music, would you include it as a center as well, or use other centers since you will be doing music daily? I have a limited amount of space and would like to include as many centers as possible. Thanks

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 15, 2012

In order to score well on the FDCERS which is the "family home" version of the ECERS for centers, one needs to have a music center. That said....the space and mixed age groups does make it challenging. We have a traveling music teacher stop in once a week, have songs during circle and what not, and then have a few stringed instruments out on our science shelf. We have had percussion/bells items out in the play yard (where I am much happier) but they currently are destroyed from weather.

So, that is how we manage it....hope that helps.

4. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Jan 16, 2012

Yes

I would. Centers are about giving children the freedom to use and experiment with the materials. If you are having scheduled music time, that's great, but they should have the opportunity to play freely with the instruments as well.

That being said, if your space is limited, why not combine your art and music centers. Music really doesn't have to be more than a couple bins filled with drums, bells, maracas etc. You could just place a crate or 2 next to your art center for the children to access.

If you have anymore questions about starting your center, feel free to message me. I'm happy to help in whatever way I can.

5. busybeeprek

busybeeprek Rookie

Jan 16, 2012

Thanks for the comments....I will work on my floor plan again and see where I could possibly put the music center. That is a good idea about putting it close to the art center.