Question for Chicago area teachers!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heyitssteph, Jul 17, 2014.

1. heyitssteph

heyitssteph Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

Hi everyone,

I am a grad student studying elementary education. I am hoping to work with older kids, possibly middle school level, although I am trying to keep an open mind.
    I graduate next year, so I won't be applying for a little while. I was wondering if it is really as difficult to get a job in the Chicago area as it seems? It seems like the only place to get a job is at inner city charter schools. Not knocking charter schools, the inner city or anyone who works or lives there! I was just wondering if it is realistic to get hired anywhere else without teaching experience. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks everyone!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 17, 2014

It depends! What subject are you trying to teach?

The suburbs won't even look at you as a first year teacher. It's very competitive inside and outside of the city, but you will have an easier time at some of the rougher schools.

When I switched schools after my first year I got DOZENS of calls for interviews. I struggled to even get a few without experience, but I was also aiming for a desirable position (elementary). I think if I had been trying to teach SPED it would have been a little easier.

4. heyitssteph

heyitssteph Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

Thanks! I would love to teach middle school language arts.

What do you recommend as far as getting experience right out of school?

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 20, 2014

You will have it a little easier in middle/secondary, but still brace yourself!

I worked at a terrible charter school for 1 year before getting into CPS. Hopefully you have more luck. I suggest going next July school to school and handing out things in person. Make a Google map of all the schools you're interested in. Network! I found my first job through a friend and at my second job, I've gotten 3 people hired.

Join an organization for new teachers like UNITE Chicago.

6. blauren

blauren Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

I moved here last August after living in Ohio. I graduated four years ago with my licensure in Social Studies. I spent 3 years in Ohio subbing and I only had one interview for a permanent position. I couldn't add special ed. without getting my Masters in Ohio. After moving to Chicago, the first thing I did was get on sub lists and start taking online classes for the LBS1 endorsement to teach special ed. I took mine through St. Francis University and it was really easy and only cost me around 2,300. It was all online and I finished it in 3 months. It's a lot more reasonable than other schools. I figured special ed would help me find a teaching position and it did. I spent the school year subbing, doing some long term assignments at CPS and got a permanent teaching assistant job towards the end of the school year. If you need health insurance I would definitely recommend looking for a teaching assistant job at CPS. Their pay is also higher than what you make as a sub and is a good way to get in the system. I had a couple interviews throughout the school year at CPS but didn't get anything. You may be competing with some teachers who were displaced due to school closings. A few weeks ago I was offered a special ed social studies job in the burbs and accepted it. I haven't gotten any calls for interviews for social studies positions from CPS this summer,but did receive a couple for special ed. but didn't go to them because it wasn't what I was looking for. One thing you have to do is get into the Teacher Quality Pool before they will even look at you. I would suggest getting the LBS1 because then at least if you can't find a middle school language arts you may be able to find something in special ed and get some teaching experience. If you are bilingual, that would help you a lot when finding a job in Chicago.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2014

It's extremely difficult to get in the Teacher Quality Pool with CPS any year but now, even more so in the past few years because there are SO MANY displaced teachers who must be given first dibs on all open positions as per our Union Contract. This means, only after all potential candidates from within are screened for qualifications will they begin to go through the applicants who made it to the Teacher Quality Pool. Our subs are mostly displaced teachers who are subbing until they get called to interview for available positions. Other subs are retired CPS teachers. The few teacher candidates we interviewed for our two open positions came from Charter Schools which are CPS operated. They were not displaced teachers or current subs so most of us at school feel they knew some higher up at CPS.

8. heyitssteph

heyitssteph Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

Thanks. I'd really prefer a suburban district if I had my pick. I would even be open to the south and west suburbs even though I am not as familiar with those areas as I am with the north and northwest suburbs. I am sure I am not alone in that, however. :crosseyed