Question for Cat People

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Jan 26, 2010.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 26, 2010

I'm worried about my cat, Booger. He's never been a very active cat. A few months ago he got into a cat vs chain link fence accident, and while he healed okay, he's been gimpy ever since. His activity level plumetted to almost nothing the last few days as my packing and cleaning went into high gear. Yesterday, the humane society came and got my foster kittens, and also took back my Zelda, because I can't find a place that will allow two cats, and the lady wants Zelda for her own and loves her almost as much as I do.

Anyway, today, Booger has almost not moved. I saw him get up once to eat (he ate an okay amount), and twice to use the litter box. When I sat down on the couch, I picked him up to put him on my lap and he was as limp as a rag doll. He didn't try to get into a more comfy position, just stayed the way he landed.

There's no other symptoms that might indicate he's sick. I'm thinking he might be sad or depressed because so much is going on. Has anybody else had any experiences similar to this? Is there some illness that I'm not thinking of who's ONLY symptom is reduced activity? He was just at the vet yesterday, and she didn't seem concerned about anything.

3. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 26, 2010

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about all that has been going on! If he is eating, drinking and using the box...I wouldn't worry too much. Stress can affect cats in many different ways. One of our cats hisses at anything that walks past her when she is stressed, while the other poops outside the litter box. Does he cry at all when you pick him up? If you try to play with him, does he respond? Being that you just took him to the vet--if I were you, I would watch him closely for a week or so and bring him back if he doesn't appear to get any better. When behavior changes drastically, you don't want to ignore it completely. I hope he is OK.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2010

As a mom to two cats, I think he very well could be stressed from all the activity going on. When e moved out of state then moved back a few years ago, our three year old cat got very stressed, edgy, fat, and moody. She began over licking herself which is a way some cats deal with stress. She actually licked though her own skin. So sad. We now know that she must be kept in a very steady routine with not much interference from too many visitors in the house. We introduced a kitten to the house early last summer and although it took several weeks to get her used to the kitten, they now are good buddies. I have had to take the kitten to the vet a few times for his check ups and she gets very stressed when he's gone. My kid tell me she sits by the door and wails until he returns so YES... I think your cat could be going through his own stages of stress and anxiety. Can you ask the vet for another exam or some mood enhancers? If there's nothing wrong from the accident, I think the problem is emotional. Cats like things the same every day. They don't take well to change. I'm curious...did your cat get outside by accident or is he and indoor/outdoor cat? I've heard that isn't good for them.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 26, 2010

I'm moving 1300 miles away on Friday. The only thing he does when I pet him is jut his chin out so I can stratch under chin (his favorite...he'll let me scratch his chin and cheeks for hours if I could). I'm really hoping this is all just stress. He's only 5 years old, but he's an "old man" cat.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 26, 2010

Zoe, he was an indoor/outdoor cat when I took him from the people who were about to surrender him to the shelter. I tried to keep him inside, but he would occasionally get out. After the accident, I got a second litter box, food and water bowls, and shut him in my bedroom any time I had to go in or out of the house. Otherwise, he'd dart out the door as soon as I'd open it. These days, he'll come out with me when I go out to smoke, hang out on the other chair, and follow me back inside. He never even goes off the front porch.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 26, 2010

He might be depressed. My cat was like that when his mom died :(

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2010

My cat had been getting attacked while going outside last year. He was actually gone for almost a month at one time and we thought he was gone for good. He came back and was just skin and bones, and also had a hole in his stomach. He lived under our kitchen sink (crawled up under the cabinets) for a few months. When we saved up enough money for the vet (because I thought it would be a huge expense with how he was acting), we brought him in and thought he would have to be put down. We ended up getting him some cheap antibiotics which he just took for a week. He is completely healed now-it was amazing. He's actually huge-I guess he wants to eat all the time now that he doesn't live under the sink anymore.

I just felt awful though because I thought there wasn't anything we could do to help him-and all it took was some antibiotics. I would bring yours to the vet and see what they think.

9. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 27, 2010

So, is your place littered with boxes right now? If so, it most definitely is stress. He knows something is changing.

* I don't know why I didn't pick up the fact that you are packing from your first post! I completely skipped over that part. :lol:

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

:lol: It's okay. I've been known to scan things and miss important information. He was at the vet monday because I needed to get his records and a medical waiver because the apt.complexes there all want cats declawed, and there's no way I'm having my 5 year old, gimpy cat declawed.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

Our cat did something similar once. She got out of the house, and came back a few weeks later. Then she sat behind the washing machine for about a week. we moved her, but then she sat in my window for a week. We took her to the vet and she had fluids and antibiotics and she was fine after that. Lived to a ripe old age of 15 before she developed cancer!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

The only time our black cat withdrew was after he got hit by a car. At least, that's what the vet presumed from looking at his nails/feet. There were no outer injuries we could see. He did have a perforated stomach, was dehydrated, in pain.

If you can't see external injuries, sometimes you can smell them.

I'll ask my daughter about this when she gets home. She's a vet tech.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

Thanks, Upsadaisy. He hasn't been outside at all except to sit on the chair next to me when I'm on the front porch. He doesn't go wandering at all anymore. He still really hasn't moved. I called the vet, and she said to keep an eye out for anything else, but he was perfectly healthy monday. Since he's eating and drinking and using the litter box okay, she's not that concerened, but I'm worried. He's my furbaby :(

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

Awwwww, I know how you feel. Is he drinking more than usual?

Did you say this started before the kittens left? You're not letting him out alone now, are you?

15. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jan 27, 2010

As many others have said he is probably depressed. His life is being mixed up right now with the move and the loss of the other cats in the home. They all deal with stress differently but like it has already been said, if he is eating, drinking, using the box, and not acting like he is in pain, the best thing to do is just keep your eye on him. Hope he gets to feeling better soon!

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

This started before the kittens left, but after the packing started. It got a LOT worse after the kittens left. He's not allowed outside, but he will come out with me when I go smoke. He'll get up on a kiddie chair and snooze, then come back inside when I go back inside. If he tried to dart, I'd stop him, but these days he doesn't move faster than a "mosey" pace.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

Is he licking more than normal? Are his claws okay?

Due to the timing of things, he probably is just depressed. How will he handle the long drive?

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

He's grooming himself less than normal. He's a long hair, so I've taken advantage of the rag doll state to really get him well brushed. His paws are okay, he's not reacting in pain when I rub any part of his body, and he's not limping any more than normal (he's got a gimpy back leg from a cat vs chain link fence accident a while back). That combined with the fact that he JUST had a check up on Monday is making me lean toward depression, but I wasn't sure a cat could actually be depressed...stressed out maybe, but I was less sure about depression.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

I've had both cats and dogs diagnosed with depression. The listlessness is a big sign.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

I'm going to take him back in early Friday morning, just to make sure there's nothing else going on. We leave Friday afternoon...in FABULOUS weather. *sigh*

(note the sarcasm about the weather...there's an ice storm supposed to come through my original route, causing me to change my plans a little and go through the city where my sister goes to school)

21. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jan 27, 2010

My cat got so depressed once while we were on vacation that she stopped eating for almost an entire week!

22. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

I'd call your vet and just ask to be on the safe side. Your description made it sound like booger ate, but wasn't much. If you have a good vet I don't think they'd exaggerate just to get you to bring him in for a visit.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

You are really being gutsy with this whole move - and the weather part, too! I hope it goes well.