Question for all the Kindergarten teachers...what are you going to do??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by minnie, Jul 10, 2020.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 10, 2020

I’ve noticed that this forum gets the most traffic so that’s why I’m posting this here lol. I know that we are all so weary and tired of stressing over and talking about how we are going to go back, but I feel that kindergarten teachers have different challenges. My tiny school is going back (so far). My students and I have to wear masks. My students cannot share anything or play closely with each other. They all have to have their own separate box with their own personal manipulatives. They can’t play in the playground. They will be with me all day. I have a very small class so social distancing is possible, but THEY’RE FIVE YEARS OLD!!! They have no concept of personal space. I need ideas of how I am going to plan my day IF we go back. I want to be prepared. Kindergarten is all hands on. So, my typical schedule is being thrown out the window. Centers? No. Looking at books with your book buddy? No. Playing in our pretend kitchen? No. Playing with blocks? No. Sitting on the rug for circle time? No. Putting puzzles together and playing games with each other? No. So, what the heck are they going to do?? Of course, I will be teaching them reading and math, but when we usually do centers or free time, what should they do instead?? I can’t expect them to sit with their personal manipulative box all throughout the day. They need to move around! I don’t want them on computers or screens. They’re too little and they do enough of that at home.

Please, please, please give me some ideas of how I’m going to make this year NOT be a disaster!!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 10, 2020

Here you go. Just order these. Problem solved!
    upload_2020-7-10_3-24-17.png

Just kidding, of course!

You ask very legitimate questions. Kindergartners don't learn from lecture, they learn from doing and from watching, but they can only "watch" for so long -- they have to keep moving and doing. I personally can't see any way to keep a 5 year old in his/her seat for hours per day with no physical interaction with others. The thought of that is absurd! And plunking a 5 year old in front of a computer screen all day is not a better solution.

I think if our "leaders" really understood what a kindergartener needs to learn, they would realize that having kindergarten class for more than a couple of hours per day while keeping socially distanced isn't realistic. But of course, our leaders are out-of-touch with reality and the needs of young children.

Kindergarten is all about social skills, interactive play, and learning to function in a structured yet physically developmental environment. I don't see how that can happen in the situation you describe. I guess I would try to do as much out-of-doors as possible, but that leads the problem of maintaining social distance because 5 year olds are going to run up to each other and you to show things, to ask things, and to physically interact. I can't imagine how stifling it will be to constantly say "stand back!" and "move away."

I think that only a precious-short amount of time each day will actually be spent on productive teaching. I think our so-called "leaders" have no clue what they are asking. Let them try to keep a group of 5 year olds learning for 7.5-8 hours per day without allowing them any physical interaction, close contact, or sharing.

bella84 likes this.
  4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2020

The requirements and the actual really don't mesh, but here are some activities you can do where they stay in their areas and can be active.

Simon Says works on concentration, self-control, listening skills, motor skills, etc
    Musical statues or what we used to call freeze dance.
    I went shopping (age appropriate list range since the memory of the little ones is shorter) I went shopping and bought apples, I went shopping and bought apples and bananas. (can be adapted to I went walking and saw the letter... r I went walking and saw the letter r and m.
    Songs for learning
    Work on printing skills, cutting skills, coloring skills (all of which are lacking)
    Work on identifying sounds and matching to the item or thing
    Give all kids the same items and have them wait to the instructions and have them choose things in order.
    Have a board with pictures up and have the kids have the same pictures on their desk. reveal the picture and for a time and then cover. Have them pick out (from the pictures on their desk) the items they saw or the letters they saw (etc).
    Do a lot of word work with making it fun.... Show them at and see how many words they can come up with and how many nonsense words. cat, fat, mat, lat oooo, zat, pat.

It won't be easy to keep them apart, but that center time could be filled with class games and fun. But you have to keep it upbeat and fun. Not the struggle with be with those kids who have yet to develop self-control or have severe attention issues.

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  5. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 10, 2020

Rainstorm, I wish my students could only come for half day. But, the superintendent would never let that happen. He doesn’t have any clue how difficult it’s going to be for them to be there all day. Also, the parents would be up in arms! We have had all day K for 15 years now. No one will ever want to go back to half day, even in the middle of all of this. How can I not let them
    hug me? What if they’re crying during the first day because they miss their mom? How am I going to comfort them? I just want to cry whenever I think about how kindergarten will not be how it’s supposed to be.

Atoz, thank you for the ideas. We will definitely be doing a lot of hand strengthening activities and cutting practice. I’m going to put play dough in their boxes to play with as well. I will also do quite a bit of coloring and handwriting with them. And Simon Says is always their favorite!

I’m going to have to go in my classroom and take things out to put in storage like the kitchen area, the dollhouse, the reading corner with all of the comfy pillows and stuffed animals that they like to read with will have to go. There is now way I can have those areas in my classroom and tell them, “Oh, you can’t play in that area until a vaccine comes out.” Obviously, I wouldn’t say it like that to them, but that’s when they would be able to actually play together.

It’s just all so sad.

If anyone else has ideas, keep them coming! :)

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 10, 2020