Question for 3 year old teachers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by new2twos, Jan 16, 2011.

1. new2twos

new2twos Rookie

Jan 16, 2011

I currently teach 1 and 2 year olds. We have the ones on Mon and Wed and the twos on Tues and Thurs. Well the twos are now turning three.

My question is for those who teach 3 year olds what are skills that you prefer that your kids know at the begining of the year.
    Should they already know all the alphabet? numbers to 10? all colors? how to use scissors?

Our program is a preschool program that is only 3 hours a day.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

Talk in a complete sentence. Say his/her own name. Recognize common colors, count a small set of objects, can listen to an entire short story and enjoys them, know some basic shapes

I know many two year olds who can sing the alphabet but not all.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

3 year olds are too young to be teachers!:lol:

5. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jan 16, 2011

I just want my just turned 3 year olds to be potty trained and to be able to play nicely with the other children.

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2011

That was my first thought too!!:p

7. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Jan 17, 2011

I teach 3 year olds and we do alot of crafts to improve fine motor skills. We also play and I expand their knowledge about the world around them. For instance, the other day I had a three year old playing legos and we played hospital where there was an xray machine and everything. He really enjoyed learning new things, but he is one of my more advanced students.

I have some of them just working on being able to build things with blocks, counting, and basic colors. We also do some tearing of paper and some are able to use scissors effectively.

8. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Jan 17, 2011

I'm not really expecting much. What I'm really looking for is exposure. What I like to see the most is self help skills - feeding self, dressing self (including shoes and jackets), using cups, washing hands properly, etc. I also want to see that they have had experience with play-doh, crayons, markers, paints, building blocks, and for the ones who are ready scissors.

I would like to see that their previous teacher had been working with them on their shapes, colors, counting, and such, but every child is different so I don't expect that they will all necessarily know everything. I had one child come into my class who just turned three, and was drawing representational figures, but knew none of her shapes. It's really normal at this age for a child to excel in one area, but not another.

Hope that helps!

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jan 18, 2011

Singing the alphabet is entirely different thank knowing the alphabet- I would not expect a newly three year old to know all their letters.