Question?: Can Teachers Collect Unemployment During The Summer?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachingTy2010, Dec 30, 2010.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Dec 30, 2010

Can teachers collect unemployment during the summer?

Also, how do you save money up for the summer if your district does NOT allow you to be paid during the summer?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

Every district is different in their pay structure. I get a "lump sum" (basically my summer pay) at the end of June, then don't get paid again until mid-September. While I feel very wealthy in July, things can be looking a little sad by the time that September pay gets deposited. When I have that big balance in my account, I leave only what I know I'll need for the summer and move the rest into another (less easily accessible) account so that I need to think twice about touching it. If you don't receive any money during the summer, consider putting some of each pay aside starting with your next cheque.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

Not if you have a contract for the next year.

Put aside a bit each paycheck for summer. I tutor A LOT (it's somewhat of a business for me) and nearly all of my tutoring money goes into savings...adds up.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

We get money year round, so our checks are smaller each month, but it's worth it not to have to worry about running out. It also makes the money I make with my summer job really seem like extra!

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

We get paid through the summer as well (really, we just have the ten months pay spread over twelve months.)

However, as I'm on a part-time contract and a part-time LTS, I will take quite a paycut come July... I may look into working retail or something.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 30, 2010

If you have a full year contract, then no, you can't get unemployment as far as I know. After all, you're not really unemployed, you either got paid for that part of the year ahead of time, or you get checks during the summer.

I've always been on a 26 pay period plan but alas my district has been forced to stop it as of this year. The state needs their pension contribution from the school in July which means the district needs to take our contributions before July, so no more 26 pay periods. We'll all get a lump sum in our last pay check in June and that'll have to last until September. Well, that's assuming I'm not RIF'ed at the end of this year but that's a whole other budget issue! My plan is to move a bunch of my last pay check into a separate account and pull from it as needed.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 30, 2010

My district offers 10- or 12-month paychecks... it's the same total salary but it's just a difference in how it's distributed.

However... if you're on 12-month, you get ALL the summer checks (on paper or direct deposited) the last day of school. I've never been on this system before... it made my eyes pop in June when I saw my account, but I still had to be diligent about not spending more than normal throughout the summer.

I still got "little" checks throughout the summer, though... over the summer you get your pay for any committee work you did during the year, tuition reimbursement if you took classes, mileage reimbursement from the spring if you're eligible... and if you do summer school or other hourly stuff (like preschool screenings/IEPs for our EI summer birthdays), those come on regular pay days also. It was nice to get those checks in addition even though it wasn't quite the same as a pay check :)

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 30, 2010

Ours is something similar. We have a choice to either get paid through the summer or just during work months. I choose the summer. I get a lump sum mid-end june. IMMEDIATELY I pay my projected bills (rent, phone, cable, etc)

Now I'm wondering if I could collect unemployment seeing as I will be off my contract as of June and won't be able to sign another one until I get where I'm getting :cool:

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 30, 2010

You can check, as things are diferent state to state.

Here, they cannot.

Our contracts are from September to August. School is usually out in May. When we get our June paychecks, we get one lump sum that is for June, July, and August. School begins in early August, but we do not get a new school-year paycheck until September.

Even if our contract is non-renewed, we are still under contract through the end of August. We are not "unemployed" during the summer.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

We sign one year contracts here, so we can't do that. Districts give us the option of being paid on a 10 month or 12 month scale, but we don't get a lump sum in June. If we have direct deposit, things go on as usual. If not, you're expected to go to the district office and pick up your check.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 30, 2010

Here you cannot collect unemployment during the summer. My district only offers a 24 payperiod option, so my salary is spread over the entire year.

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 30, 2010

Not here. Even if I was not offered a contract for next year, I'd have to wait until Sept. to start collecting.

BTW, I wish my district offered an option of spreading my salary over the entire year rather than just during the school year. Now that I've gotten used to my paycheck, I'm going to feel mighty poor once the summertime comes.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 30, 2010

We get paid on the 15th and 30th of each month. You can choose to receive 20 or 24 paychecks per year. I also have a 2nd job year-round, and I teach summer school.

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2010

I was surprised some of you are paid twice a month. In my whole teaching career, and in my father's, we have been paid once a month.

Also, here you don't get unemployment unless you have been pink slipped and have official notice you are not being rehired in the fall.

As hard as it is, saving all year is the best strategy. A separate savings account not tied to your checking account to make it harder to access works for some people.

A previous poster's idea about paying your major bills early is an excellent idea. Just a word of warning on this - make sure the bank or loan company understands it is a separate early payment and not extra money to apply to your balance. Also keep track of payments so you can prove it. My son had the bank call to say he was late with a payment while he had actually been one month ahead for several months but when he skipped a payment they thought he was behind and they had to audit his account to figure it out. A friend also had trouble when she paid an extra mortgage payment in advance without notifying them what it was for and they put it towards her balance and were charging her penalties, etc. until she finally got it straightened out. Not scaring you off this tactic - just warning you to make sure the institution is clear about what you are doing.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

I get paid every second Friday (oh, tomorrow is payday--HOORAY!!!)

17. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 30, 2010

I'm in a private school. Paid once a month, choice of 10 or 12 month pays. Recently found out those in faith based schools are not eligible for unemployment at all. Told there's only one in the entire country that's an exception. Not sure the reason. Anyway, for others, if contract is for a year, then no unemployment.

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2010

jlj,

My understanding (at least here) is that faith based schools are not required to contribute to unemployment insurance but may choose to do so. It is a good question to ask at an interview - also do they carry disability insurance?

19. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Dec 31, 2010

That is my understanding as well. However, I think the "only one school in the nation does it" is misinformation.

In my area, they specifically have a section that tells you that you are ineligible as a teacher, public or private, for unemployment throughout the summer.