Question about your state curriculum.

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Cole, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Cole

Cole Companion

Aug 13, 2006

I got into a discussion tonight with another teacher. She said that her district has gone into a pilot program being sponsored by the state where all the curriculum is laid out. It has what you are teachin, when you are teaching it, and how you are teaching it. More or less all lesson plans, tests, quizes, assignments, everything done.

She said that "most" states are doing this, and that Texas is in a pilot year but it will be a required implementation within 3 years.

I told her I didn't see how that could go over bc of the political bs and the publishing companies getting involved.

She said it was already a done deal.

I've googled it and looked on the TEA website and see nothing.

So, my question is, does your state have a state mandated curriculum, and if so, who operates it and is it any good?

I realize in theory it sounds great, bc a kid moving around wont miss anything as long as they just move inside the state, but this just doesnt sound feasible to me.

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 13, 2006

I think its great for accountability, ensures that ALL teachers are on the 'same page' and not teaching a topic because its a NICE thing to teach, rather, its part of the state requirement.

I think its super convenient for the state also, for getting teachers to be flexible to teach at any location. It does take time for a teacher to learn a curriculum and this will alleviate the time factor if a teacher should transfer to another location!

The negative on this would be that the pace can not be designed for YOUR classroom, YOUR group of students in mind!
    How could they possibly know if your students 'got the concept' and was ready to move on? What about reinforcing the lesson with an extra day because it may be necessary? I dont know if ALL your state has the same interruptions ie: specials or pull out programs but how can the state know if your DAY will be as they project?

Try googling: Curriculum scope and sequence

4. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

In Maryland, we have what's called the Voluntary State Curriculum. I'm not sure why it's called "voluntary". In my school, we've been given one for each for reading, writing, & math. It just lists what should be covered in each subject (I'm not sure if the ones I have specify by grade level or specify as K-3). But there are no sort of timelines, lesson plans, or anything like that included. Only outcomes to be covered during the year.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 13, 2006

In Louisiana we have the Comprehensive Curriculum. It has units for each grade level, in that unit it lists the GLEs (Grade Level Expectations - or standards) that we are expected to cover. It lists suggested activities and suggested assessments. We are also given a timeline for each unit. We are not happy with the CC. :(
    http://www.louisianaschools.net/lde/saa/2108.html

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

In Illinois we have state standards, but not a state curriculum. Personally, I would hate to have a scripted curriculum to teach from.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 13, 2006

Massachusetts has the state curriculum frameworks that lists that standards that the students should meet and example activities that can be used to teach those standards, but it's not scripted.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2006

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

I am also teaching in Illinois. We have state standards. Still we hall all been talking lately about the mobility of our students and how some of them probably do the same thing three times because there is nothing standard across areas, regions, etc. If you walk into every CPS school on the same day there are probably 610 different units being worked on. It would be nice at least if they decided that all of cps 3rd graders do (and this is a total example) plants, bones, animals, food chain etc... that way when kids are so mobile they don't loose everything when they move.

10. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Virginia has Standards of Learning (SOL) that we must follow, but we don't have mandated lesson plans. I'm planning out my curriculum right now, and have come across our state's scope and sequence with units, curriculum frameworks, sample lesson plans, assessments, activities, etc. This is a great resource for us to have in planning our lessons. It's nice that we don't have to follow week/week lessons. :)

11. Cole

Cole Companion

Aug 13, 2006

we have standards here as well, they are called TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) but they are what is to be expected to be taught that year in that class.

what she was talking about was not just standards, but scope and sequence and lesson plans and everything that goes with it...more or less a script.

i pride myself in keeping up to date with TEA, but I have not heard this at all and was wanting to see if anyone else had heard anything, or if it really was in "most states" like she was saying.

thanks, i appreciate the info.

12. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 13, 2006

In Georgia we have the Quality Core Curriculum (QCC) and Georgia Performance Standards (GPS) which are mandated because they are the objectives assessed by the state test for NCLB. However there is no script, or specific sequence that must be followed and there are no plans to create one. The state tells educators what to teach but we have the freedom to decide how to teach it and at what time during the school year.

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

The day we have a state curriculum is the day I will no longer be a teacher.

Sure, we have state standards, but the idea of a state curriculum is ridiculous. It is a slap in the face to the professionalism of teachers and the individuality of students.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2006

We have provincial expectations which tell us what to teach. We, as professionals, decide how and when to teach these expectations. We are free to use our strengths and teaching style to meet the diverse needs of our students. I'm not sure how anyone can know where the students will be by Day 97 before the school year has even begun. (Sometimes, I don't know where we'll be on Day 97 until Day 96 is done!). As a teacher in a relatively new school with limited resources, we need to stagger when we teach certain topics so that there are enough books, etc. to go around!

15. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

In NC, we have the SCOS (Standard Course of Study) which is curriculum for K-12. We have state standards, competency goals, and objectives. I think our curriculum makes it very easy to make sure you are teaching what you need to. Here is the general link to our curriculum: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/curriculum/ncscos

16. Cole

Cole Companion

Aug 13, 2006

thanks everyone.

i did not believe there was one in our state, let alone most other states, and i do appreciate the help in this.

i know everyone has standards which tells you what to teach, but that's nothing new...its the state or national curriculum that i dont like the idea of.

glad to know that i was not imaginging things, and that these things really do not exist.

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

I could completely see how this could benefit CPS kids; I know that some areas have a lot of turnover.

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2006

We have that in Tennessee. Our first full day was Friday, and I am scheduled to start teaching everything tomorrow.

It is kind of helpful to me. I already know what I will be teaching all year.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2006

In Kentucky we have state standards, but not a state curriculum.

However, we get together by department and plan a curriculum so we're all teaching the same concepts on the same day. We don't get as specific as to say what we use to teach each concept, and we put a few "extra" days into each unit so we can have time to add more for kids who didn't get it or add enrichment for the ones who need to go further.

20. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 13, 2006

Pennsylvania has standards that range from prek on up. I am only familiar with the prek and the kindergarten, because I teach prek. However, I heard this summer at PA's Governor's Institute that PA may be going to one state Prek curriculum within 3 years. I am just wondering who is going to decide what that will be. Hopefully, someone who knows and understands preschoolers.

21. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

22. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

I am another VA teacher (well, soon to be), but I also taught in NC and the Dept. of Defense schools, and I did my student teaching in PA. In each of these places, we were given standards, but not a mandated curriculum. In NC, at the middle school where I taught, we came up with pacing guides for the core subjects. Basically we agreed to teach certain things during certain quarters (for example, in the final quarter we always did poetry, a mystery unit--which each individual teacher created on their own, and persuasive writing). That was helpful for me as a new teacher. I was still given a good bit of freedom, but at least I had an outline of the standards and the quarters in which they would be addressed.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2006

New Jersey has state standards but most districts I know of take those standards and write curriculum based on them. We are all required to cover what the state outlines but that is a 'baseline'- doesn't tell you when or how....Thank goodness. We are professionals, we make decisions based on what is right for our students. We should be trusted to teach the curriculum, to meet the standards. This Texas pilot thing sounds like a packaged, here teach this on Thursday, here's how you do it kind of thing- do you really need a PROFESSIONAL to do that?????

24. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 13, 2006

As far as I know, in California we have our state Standards and Frameworks, and the state board of eduaction approves several curriculums for all sujects that address those standards. The individual districts get to choose from that state-approved list. Of course, this could be different for under-performing schools and districts.