Question about three year olds

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenK26, Nov 6, 2009.

1. JenK26

JenK26 Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

Does anyone here know the basics of what to teach three year olds? What are the most important things three year olds should learn in preschool?

Thanks

3. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Nov 6, 2009

Gentle touches and toileting. :)

I don't teach three year olds, but coming into my PreK class, I would really like it if they already knew the basic colors, could rote count to 5, and could recognize their first name in print (or at least pick one that started with the same letter as their name).

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2009

The color-blind will pretty much never know the basic colors. Not in a way they can successfully relate, anyway. And colorblindness often isn't diagnosed until later in childhood.

5. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Nov 6, 2009

I attempt to teach them basic colors, the beginnings to hand writing, recognizing number symbols and counting objects. Mostly I get them used to being in a structured environment and self help skills. I want them to be able to hold a crayon, cut with scissors, paint on paper, drink from a cup without the lid, and wipe their own bottom. Simple things.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 6, 2009

true. But the vast majority of kids aren't colorblind... Are you implying that we shouldn't worry about knowing colors until they're in elementary school?

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 6, 2009

the threes I teach typically know by the end of the year the months, days of the week, basic colors,shapes, how to say (not sing) the ABCs, count to 20, recognize numerals1-10, name the letters of the alphabet (uppercase), write their first name, verbally spell their first name, simple patterns, beginnning sequencing, some letter sounds, how to share, take turns, walk nicely in the hallway, use the bathroom independently, dress themselves, tell me their first and last names and their parents first and last names, how to clean up after themselves, cut out all thier own projects, manipulate and use crayons, markers, eating utensils, use manners at the table, sit and participate in group time .....

8. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Nov 7, 2009

I teach two mornings in a three's class. Our focus is on self help, self regulation, how to get along in a structured system, and how to get along with peers. We do cover a different shape each month, experiment with color mixing, cutting, letter and number recognition. Our main focus is the self help, ect. because I have seen too many kids in the PreK class that have great academic skills and really lack in the areas of self help, self regulation.

9. MISS JUDY D

MISS JUDY D Rookie

Dec 3, 2009

Listening.
    Sitting still.
    Following Direction.
    Sharing.
    Self reliance. (hanging up their own coat, picking up toys etc.)

If you master those then move on to colors, counting, cutting, holding a crayon correctly. Acedemics for threes is more about exposure that mastery. After all most of them will have another year before kindergarten to fine tune.

10. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Dec 3, 2009

Besides what RedVac and Miss Judy D said, I'd like to add exposure to a wide variety of art materials and techniques (collage, easel, marble painting, clay (different than play dough), finger painting, etc. Also a variety sensory table activities, objects from nature, and nursery rhymes.