Question about tests

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kmlooper, Apr 23, 2008.

1. kmlooper

kmlooper Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

Hello everyone,

I need some feedback if any teachers would care to contribute.

I need to find out from special education teachers how tests are used with your young children?

Thank you in advance:)

3. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 23, 2008

In preschool sped:

for initial evaluations--we do an arena assessment--the parent brings the child in (shortly before they turn 3, the age at which services start) and the team (teacher, OT, PT, speech, whoever we think may need to be involved or who early intervention has recommended) the team sits with the child together and has the child perform various tasks. Each discipline has a specific test to use, and some items overlap, so each professional is taking notes as the child does things. It's way less scary than it sounds, actually. . . Having formal testing data makes writing up eligibility and evaluation reports much easier.

Re-evaluations are easier. The disciplines test the child separately, as the child is now in school every day, so has more time. As a teacher, I pull the child aside for a short time here and there to complete sections of the test, as their attention/endurance allows, and sit with them to do the testing.

4. kmlooper

kmlooper Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

bcblue-
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, I am a little surprised with how few people are responding to my posts. So, I am all the more appreciative that you did.

Thanks!