question about TENURE

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by traeh, Mar 15, 2008.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Mar 15, 2008

I was wondering is it 2 or 3 years to be tenured? Also, do you have to stay at the same school for that length of time, or does your experience carry over (ie. you teach 1 year at School 1 and your 2nd year at School 2 and you still get tenured). Let me know if you know the answer! Thanks!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2008

It's two years to get tenured and it doesn't start until the first day of your third year.

No, your experience does not travel with you, unless you stay in the same district. If you get tenured at one district and you move to a new one, you start all over.

Of course, I'm in CA, so it may be different.

4. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 15, 2008

I think it's different for different states. At my school in MO, it's 5 years to be tenured.....or is it different for certain schools? I really don't know too much about tenure.

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Mar 15, 2008

It is different from state to state. In NJ, you become tenured 3 years and a day-- first day of your 4th year. However, administrators can give you tenured before that.

To get tenured, you have to be in the same school district. You can be transferred to other schools in your district as well as grades.

However, if you go to a different school district, you start all over again.

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Mar 15, 2008

You should as your union rep and read your contract to find out the process in your school district. I think if you go on the PA state education website, you might get your answers there too.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 15, 2008

Tenure varies from state to state and from district to district. For your retirement and pension though, it is just total years your have been employed regardless of how many times you changed schools. As someone suggested, contact your union rep or check out your contract.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 15, 2008

Tenure is different by state and by district.

In our district, it is 3 years. You can change schools (but they rarely allow it for untenured teachers) but if you change districts before you receive tenure, you start over.

In our district, if you come from another district or state and were tenured there, you must serve a one year probationary period before you get tenure with us.

Also, in our district, the principal cannot give you tenure early. No one can give you tenure early. It must be three complete school years. If you are hired mid year on a contract, that year does not count for tenure. (I know, I was hired mid year, so I had to wait an additional year for tenure.)

9. traeh

traeh Companion

Mar 15, 2008

Okay, thanks everyone. Rainstorm... do you live in pa? I'm just checking to see if mine is 2 or 3 years?

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 15, 2008

No. I'm in VA. If I run into a friend of mine online who teaches in Pa., I'll ask him.

You can probably just call the secretary at the human resources department for the district you are curious about, and ask. I'm sure they get asked all the time.

11. traeh

traeh Companion

Mar 15, 2008

Okay, I actually just looked at this other site and it said after 3 successful years. So on the 1st day of the fourth year, I'm guessing one becomes tenured in PA. I will call human resources on Monday to double-check.

Thanks again!!!!!

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 15, 2008

Just remember that is when you are "eligible" for tenure. If you are on a plan of action, they can deny tenure. It isn't granted to everyone. (Although it is granted to MOST everyone.) At our district, if you are denied because you are on a plan of action, they either let you go, or the prinicpal can give you one more year on a probationary contract to get your evals up. If the end of that year you still haven't met the requirements, they sack you.

13. traeh

traeh Companion

Mar 15, 2008

So basically, if your evaluations are good, you are eligible for tenure? However, every year, up until the end of the third, they can let you know? Also, do they have to let you know before the year is over (by April 1st or something?) I thought I read that somewhere...

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 15, 2008

I don't know about that. I know in our district you "know" you got it when (in April) you get an invitation to your "tenure party." It is a big party thrown for all the teachers in the district who are receiving tenure.

I didn't go to mine. I'm not a big socializer.

15. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Mar 15, 2008

They usually have up to May 1st to tell you since your contract technically goes to June 30th. That is 60 days notice telling you that you are not being rehired.

16. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Mar 15, 2008

That is not always the case. They do not do a tenure party in my district. In fact, it is very low key. They will usually tell you in April because the Board has to approve it also.

17. traeh

traeh Companion

Mar 15, 2008

oops, I meant "Every year up until the third year they can let you GO.. not know.." lol