question about SPED assignment

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by evergreenmom, May 16, 2013.

1. evergreenmom

evergreenmom Rookie

May 16, 2013

Hi,

I am hoping to get my SPED endorsement by the end of the summer. I am stumped on this assignment and I thought i would see if you could help.

Here it is:

There are several factors that influence the identification of and delivery of services to individuals with disabilities. Some of these factors are: The legal system-case law, federal law
    Culturally and linguistically diverse background
    the educational system

Your task is to craft a narrative of no more than 750 words which articulates how these factors impact our special education system-specifically the identification of children/youth.

I guess I don't even know where to start. I have been out of the college life for like 30 yrs so this is all new to me. Any suggestions?

Lisa

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 16, 2013

Can you elaborate what is stumping you so others can point you in the right direction?

Do you know how case law works in this country in general? If not, it would be difficult to understand how it relates to anything.
    Do you know federal law regarding IDEA and how it impacts special education? If not, you will struggle with understanding how the laws impact special education.
    Do you know how cultural influence or bias helps or hinders how the student or the special education process is seen?

How are you approaching the information and supportive details for this assignment?

4. evergreenmom

evergreenmom Rookie

May 16, 2013

well that is the thing...this was my first class and I have no background on any of those things...so that is why I am struggling. So basically google those things and write about how it impacts SPED

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 16, 2013

evergreenmom considering it's only 750 words I would check out some intro articles on sites like Wrights Law or even wikipedia and just stay very general. That's an absolutely huge concept and to do justice to all those components you need to stay broad - ie a paragraph on each of these things.

In general, though, to get you started, SLD identification has been changing dramatically since IDEIA 2004 when federal law allowed states and districts to use a Response to Intervention (RtI) model as opposed to a severe discrepancy model. Some folks feel that RtI delays instruction, but advocates say - when used appropriately - RtI provides intervention for struggling students earlier, results in fewer kids labeled with disabilities, etc.

So, that's the gist - there are, of course, many facets of case law related to special education, such as district responsibility of funding private evaluations and private education placements, but don't see those as being at the core of the "changes to special education" discussion.

Honestly, I wouldn't stress to much. Over the course of your program you definitely want to learn a lot more about all of those things, but if you're in the first few weeks of your program and only responsible for 750, I'd focus on the big picture.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 17, 2013

Thanks for responding, OP.

I agree with EdEd that 750 words doesn't allow for more than a general overview of those concepts.

Wrightslaw will help give you an overview of some things and googling will give help with the other topics.

Case law is previous challenges that have been ruled on. One of the well known ones was Rowley. Wrightslaw discusses this case. Once there is case law regarding a law, it is used as the interpretation of the law.

Read up on special education identification and child find. Read up on IDEA but as EdEd said IDEA has changed over the years. Only the latest applies.

Read up on RTI as an option to the discrepancy formula for identification.

Read up on English as a second language and special education identification.

Good luck.

7. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

May 17, 2013

As others have stated, this seems like a very generic, general paper. You'll want to grab a few sources, but overall it should be a quick write and read.

It seems like a core component of this paper is the current issue of over-classification (e.g. more African American children classified as learning disabled proportional to their ratio as students versus other races in school) and missed diagnosis (e.g. EBD females tend to go unclassified because their behavior is generally internalized (opposite for boys who are over-classified) - thus law/procedures leave them behind until, some would argue, it's too late). A major discrepancy what you wrote hit on is teacher versus student culture. I.e. what's good in "my" culture might not be good in the students' cultures...and how might that affect the student - classify him/her as SPED (over classify or under classify?).

Just hit on the generalities of the weaknesses of the current system...at least that's how I have interpreted the paper should read.

8. evergreenmom

evergreenmom Rookie

May 20, 2013

Well I did the paper and he returned it saying I didn't mention how it impacts the identification of youth. Gosh, I never knew college would be this hard. So I have until 5 today to do it over. I am almost finished but I am at case law and trying to figure out how that impacts the identification of youth. Can you think of any cases that do that? I am writing about Rowley but I don't see how that impacts the identification at all so maybe I should write about that case.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 20, 2013

Search

Child Find Case Law

Rowley is after a student has been identified.

10. evergreenmom

evergreenmom Rookie

May 20, 2013

I ended up using the case law about Comptom vs Addison..I hope I did it right this time.

11. stepka

stepka Comrade

May 27, 2013

OP, one thing to keep in mind is that some profs are just crazy, or at the very least, unclear about their expectations. Hope it works out for you.

12. evergreenmom

evergreenmom Rookie

May 30, 2013

Thanks...I ended up finally getting an 80 on it. So far I have an 86.8 in the class for an average. I am happy with that.

13. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 30, 2013

Awesome - that's definitely a passing grade :)