Question about signing contract

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by mrsq, Jun 28, 2007.

1. mrsq

mrsq Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

I have accepted a position with a school district for next year. I have signed a lot of paperwork and submitted my social security card, been finger printed, and provided my tb test, but I do not recall signing an actual contract. I will be an intern, as I have one last class to take next semester and have to get my units for student teaching, so they did give a letter of intent to my university so they could apply for an intern credential for me. My question is, should I be concerned that I haven't signed a contract yet, is the intent to hire they gave to my university good enough? They did send me a letter about new hire training starting soon. I think I'm just starting to get nervous because I've already bought a lot of stuff for my classroom, and I do not want this to fall through.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

We didn't sign our actual contracts until like April... 8 months after the start of the school year!

Go ahead and ask if it will make you feel better. I'm sure everything's fine.

4. mrsq

mrsq Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Cassie753, thanks for your reply. I think I'm just getting nervous.

5. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Jun 28, 2007

I was told a couple weeks ago that I "got the job" and to go fill out all the paperwork. However, contracts were not ready yet because local salaries were still in negotiations. I was a little worried too until I found out that no one had signed contracts yet. So don't panic. Plus I think the letter of intent and scheduling you for trainings should ease your mind!

6. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

I think i'm confused. Are you a contracted teacher or an intern? I'm in the process of switching a new district. I have already resigned from my previous school. Now I have to wait to July 17 in order to get my contract. You should get your initial contract and sign it soon, if not then I would ask questions bout it. I believe what Cassie is talking about is our regular contract that you sign in April/May to state that you are coming back in the following year. And that contract is for the following year. At least that is how Iowa does it.

7. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 28, 2007

I know some teachers in IN who do not sign their regular contract until the end of the school year. SO in June 07 they signed their 06-07 contract. It mentions nothing about the 07-08 school year on the papers they sign. NOW not all schools work that way and I don't think any should, but this one does. Many schools sign the new school years contract the first week of the new school year so in August many will sign their 07-08 contract.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, it's weird when you don't sign your contract until the year is almost up. I can't figure out how they can get away with that legally, you know? How can they hold teachers to the terms of a contract that was never signed?

9. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Jun 29, 2007

In California I usually signed my contract a few weeks before school began (or when we were at school but the kids were not). Don't worry about it - if you have a school site, you are working.

db