question about reading groups.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Aug 16, 2012.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

How long does it take you to get your reading groups going at the beginning of the year?

Thanks?

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 16, 2012

I just got a "21 day implementation guide" for setting up guided reading groups. It does say you can go through the steps faster if your class is picking it up faster. I sure hope mine does...21 school days is a LONG time, considering we didn't start this "21 day implementation" the first week at all.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2012

3-4 weeks before they are settled. I start with info from last year's teachers then make changes based on my initial benchmark scores. As I get to know them a bit better I make a few more changes.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2012

Probably about three weeks- maybe a little longer, depending on how long it takes us to get into the swing of things where the rest of the class is working on task while my co-teacher and I are focused on guided reading.

The groups are based on the kids' F & P levels. I'm hoping to start the running records the 2nd or 3rd day of school. The ones in the beginning of the year take so long because unfortunately so many kids drop levels over the summer and we end up testing the same child 3 or 4 times (not in a row of course) before we can get an accurate level. Also, in the beginning of the year we have to do all of the other F & P tests on any student below level N (concepts of print, letter/sound recognition, sight words) which will be partially done during what would normally be guided reading time.

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 17, 2012

I started my groups on the third day of school. The first day we just practiced moving from station to station quickly and quietly. I used the assessment information from the end of last year to place them in groups, but will be changing groups as needed after doing beginning of year benchmarks.

I'd say three weeks is about right for the length of time it will take for them to get the hang of it. They have done it for the past two years in K and 1, though, so it's not a totally new concept to them. ;)

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 17, 2012

We are practicing moving as table groups, but I'm not having them come to my teacher table yet. Right now, I'm monitoring for success at the computer, listening station, library, and writing. I hope to start calling leveled groups to my table in a week. That will be about the time we move from our Kindergarten review to our true first grade curriculum.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

3 weeks or so... we have to learn how to rotate and be independent at each activity... But I am reading with kids 1:1 to assess