Question about publishing a book

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Furthuron, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

Oct 29, 2014

My students are interested in having a copy of the YA adventure book I'm publishing on Amazon in November. How does this work in terms of Conflct of Interest? I am okay giving them free copies, but at what point does it become okay for someone to purchase one?

I have searched online and found nothing, but I know I can't be the first teacher in this situation...

Thanks in advance! :)

3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Oct 29, 2014

I don't think there's a conflict with them buying it, as long as you are not requiring them to buy it (for example, in order to take the class, you would have to buy this particular book). If they are buying it for personal use, then I don't see any conflict.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 29, 2014

If it's going to be on Amazon then they (or their parents) are able to purchase it from Amazon. Did you already tell them you would give them free copies? I probably wouldn't have said anything about free copies. I think I would leave it up to the parents and see if they want them to have it. All you need is one complaining parent...you never know.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2014

Save your free copies and donate one to each library in neighboring schools mad your community. If parents want to order the book from amazon, they can do so. I assume your principal is aware of your situation. How about sharing a link here?