Question about my son....

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by **Mrs.A**, May 11, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 11, 2009

What should most kindergarteners know how to add in their head? How about 10+15+4+7?? Tonight I walk into my son's room and he's tapping the wall. I ask him what he's doing. He told he was adding his tickets up. Is this normal for kindergarten?? My husband is really good with numbers and I'm hoping my son picked up those genes!! :lol:

3. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

May 12, 2009

wow! my kinders are nowhere near that- i don't even think the first graders could do that in their head!

4. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

May 12, 2009

I have one student who loves numbers like that. He loves to tell time, count big numbers together, and is always figuring out number problems....There are 27 students on the playground, 12 are in one class, 2 are absent, how many are in the other class?

Some kids just love it. You can have so much fun with your son, challenging him with different activities. Keep it fun and let him take the lead.

5. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

May 12, 2009

I have a student who does that in first grade. Most kids are not anywhere near that. I was like that as a child. Numbers intrigued me. My dad was always making number games to challenge me from the time I was very very young. Challenge him in as many ways possible. I agree with punchinello. Keep it fun and let him take the lead. That way math doesn't turn into something he hates. My students hated math at when they came into first grade. Now they absolutely love it! It is because they are no longer afraid of numbers. I had to teach them that adding and subtracting big numbers is just like small numbers. They aren't scared anymore and I often see them challenging each other with larger problems. They just needed numbers to become fun for them.

6. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 12, 2009

He sounds pretty advanced! The apple didn't fall far from the tree!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 12, 2009

That is awesome, I would definitely consider that advanced. I have one student that could do that and she is really good with numbers all around. :2up: