Question about my life....

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ashtrey, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Sep 24, 2005

Hello everyone!

I am currently a senior in college and hopefully I will be graduating sometime in the next year. I have a question and I was wondering what everyone else thought about the subject.

OK - I am 25 - and I have never been married and I have a 3 year old daughter.
    I have been concerned that I will be looked down upon when it comes to be my time to student teach and when I start looking for a job. I have had numerous encounters with the families I graduated with and it is like I have the scarlet letter on my chest.....

I understand that teachers are role models for students and I was wondering what everyone thought about my situation.

Thanks so much
    Ashley

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 24, 2005

I think that it is a common situation, nobody's business but yours, and you shouldn't have a problem anywhere. Don't worry about it. Be proud of your precious child.

4. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Sep 24, 2005

Thanks for responding. I am very proud of my daughter.....I just was taking a class on parent education and my prof was talking about how the parents will find out everything about you and be quick to judge you. I just didn't know if it would be a problem or if anyone else had ran into the same situation.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 24, 2005

All my parents ever seem to care about is if their own child is happy in class and cared about by the teacher. They don't seem too terribly interested in my family life and I don't usually share too much about it unless I get close to the parent.

6. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Sep 24, 2005

Thanks again!! I appreciate your kind words. I have just had such unbelievable expeirences with the people I KNOW ... I just started to think a little too much into it.

Thanks again.
    Ashley

7. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Sep 24, 2005

aslong as you are proud of her and you show it I think you will have no problem finding a job. A lot of single mothers are teachres and as long as you take care of your daughter and you do your job right no one has the right to judge u.

8. SarahLorax

SarahLorax Rookie

Sep 24, 2005

i have a friend who's 23 and has a 4-year-old, and is doing her student teaching now. she's enjoying it, and i don't believe she has any issues come up with it (and she's st-ing in a small rural district). it shouldn't be much of an issue. :)

9. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Sep 24, 2005

We have a teacher at my school who is not married and had her daughter through in virto and it hasn't been a problem. Her daughter is now 5 and in my k. class.

10. Minerva

Minerva Companion

Sep 24, 2005

Question about your life...

This might have been a problem for you in the 50s or 60s, but the world has changed. Nobody thinks anything of this in 2005. Many, many of my parents are single parents. I don't know how it is in small towns but in the big city the scarlet letter no longer exists. You'll be fine!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  11. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 24, 2005

I was asked personal questions by teachers and staff while I was a student teacher, but the parents never asked personal questions. Also, depending on where you will teach, you will notice that many of the children come from all kinds of families. You don't have anything to worry about. Good luck with your career!

12. dee

dee Companion

Sep 24, 2005

Please do not worry about this. There are many teachers that are single parents and some of them may become pregnant while teaching, though not married. I think a parent's main concern SHOULD be the quality of education his/her child is getting and not a teacher's personal life.

Personally, last year my husband and I separated with a lot of controversy in the community because he was having an affair. None of my parents questioned me nor my principal. I did however, have parents to commend me for the quality of education that I provided for their children.

13. glitzern02

glitzern02 Companion

Sep 24, 2005

I agree with everyone else. I wouldn't worry about your situation at all. I have a friend who is a senior in college with a child and hasn't been married. She has already completed student teaching and had no issues like that come up at all. She has even gotten job offers already. So I wouldn't worry about it one bit! Don't sweat it! Just be who you are! :)

14. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Sep 24, 2005

I went through it, too. I did my student teaching when I was 24 and had a 3 y/o. I was really worried but everything was fine, everyone was really nice. I was even worried about being "Miss" rather than "Mrs." but none of the kids even noticed (3rd grade.) Good Luck!

15. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Sep 25, 2005

You'll be fine and if asked, proudly respond. Everyone else has said it before, and I will too: as long as the child is well loved and taught, the parents are OK. As a single male, my parents asked me at Meet the Teacher Night if I am married - and I proudly proclaimed, "I am single and loving it!" They all burst into laughter, and then different moms started to think of women they work with who are single. I had to remind them that this is Meet the Teacher night, not Setup the Teacher night.

16. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2005

Well, I am in agreement on some points and not on others. In my school, the parents DO find out every little issue of your personal life. When my daughter was hospitalized last year, they even came and visited us in the hospital (I was actually pleased, because I really like my parents, but I can see where they would be intrusive.). I've had parents drive by my house (using 411 to get my address) just to see what it looked like, and when we moved, every single one knew how much my house was listed for! And we live 2 communities away from my school!!!

However, your daughter is nothing to be ashamed of. If the subject of your child comes up in conversation, just go on and on about how much you love her, how wonderful she and and how happy she is in general. Don't act ashamed...you have nothing to be ashamed of. And the parents will follow your lead.
    Kim

17. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 25, 2005

I agree with everyone else here. I don't think people will judge you. They don't know your personal business and don't need to. Enjoy your child and your student teaching :)

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2005

That is so funny, I've had that happen too! How weird is that? :p

19. Minerva

Minerva Companion

Sep 25, 2005

Amazingly, I live a half a block away from my school and have had no one intrude on my privacy in the sixteen years I've worked at the school. We greet each other on the street and in the stores, but I tell the children on the first day of school that I do not have conferences about school when I am not in school. I did have a student from our school break my garage window once, but when I caught him he hadn't even known I lived there! (He was commiting random vandalism.) The look on his face when he saw me come out of the house was total shock. The following September, he was in my class. He never did anything like that again, as far as I know.

20. NathalieBug

NathalieBug Rookie

Sep 29, 2005

Don't let this affect you. I have a six year old daughter and have never been married. I am 23. You can do the math. My students can do the math as well...and so can their parents. I've never had a problem. Never. I leaned over a little too far the first week of school and they all saw my tattoo...they commented, asked questions, but once again I've had no problems.

Regardless of the fears you may have, teaching is a VERY respected profession. Besides, you're going to discover many of your students are coming out of single parent households and those moms or dads have only the utmost respect for single parents because they've lived it (forgive me if anyone else has already pointed this out, I had to skim the post because I'm being paged at top volume by my child). Also, the parents are NOT going to find out everything about you unless they are paranoid CIA agents. They can't. You try finding out everything about someone--it isn't easy and certainly not worth the effort against a teacher. It won't happen.

Just calm down and enjoy your job. You'll find (regretfully) that parents don't care nearly as much as you want them to about their own kids, much less your life.