Question about multiple job offers in California and reneging on verbal agreement

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by runtmc, Jul 23, 2013.

1. runtmc

runtmc New Member

Jul 23, 2013

1. How common is it to renege on a verbal agreement if a better job offer comes along?

2. Let's say I teach at School 1 and want to leave School 1 after my first year, how will I get letters of recc, won't the school be mad at me for leaving after my first year, who would give me letter of rec, what would I do if they say bad stuff about be just becasue I was leaving to future prospective employers.

tHANKS!

3. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 23, 2013

Well you will definitely want to build a rapport with anyone you work with, whether your goal is to stay with that district or not. Keep in mind that the job market in CA is pretty tough... you are often competing with hundreds of others for 1 position. So you will want to make sure that you don't burn any bridges.

Try to be honest with your P. If you have a goal of one day leaving, let them know that you are looking elsewhere.

4. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 24, 2013

No one would be mad at your for leaving after your first year IF you didn't wait until the last minute to tell them. It's generally courteous to tell them before the last day of school, or if that's not possible, within a few weeks of the last day.