QUESTION about meat

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2006

Well, what would you do? I have some pork ribs in the frig, just checked the date and it says "sell by Dec. 17(today is the 19th) They "look" fresh and pink...would you cook and eat them or throw them out????? I am such a freak.

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2006

I would certainly eat them. It is the sell by date, not the eat by date. I think they would still be good. If you don't want them cook them up then call me over, ribs sound good right about now!

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2006

Topic: Food Safety Issues

Expert: Carol Schlitt
    Date: 11/11/2006
    Subject: Fresh Pork

Question
    Thanks for the response. I have froze this as chops, however the only date on this is Packed on : Monday and the date, so I am thinking it should be alright(froze it in case)? I appreciate your time and help.
    Thanks
    -------------------------------------------
    The text above is a follow-up to ...

-----Question-----
    Hi, I bought a fresh pork roast on Monday to cut up for pork chops, put them in the fridge and promptly forgot about it. Today is Friday, can I still cut it up and freeze it or should I cook it right away, or throw it away?

Thanks.
    -----Answer-----
    Hi Melody,

Does the pork roast have a "sell by" date on the label? If so,, use that date and add 3-4 days as the maximum amount of time the roast can be safely kept in the refrigeration before it must be cooked or frozen.

If the sell by date was Monday -- you are really pushing it to the end of the freshness and safety of the roast. Look at the meat and see if you notice any off flavors or stickiness on the meat. These are signs of food spoilage. While these are not dangerous, they do change the flavor and texture of cooked meat. Bacteria that could make the pork dangerous can not be detected by smell, taste or visually indicated. Also, some bacteria produce toxins that are not deactivated by heat. In other words, cooking the meat doesn't make it safe.

So..it all depends on the sell by date. If you are within the 3-4 days after the sell by date I'd either freeze the meat or cook it right away. If it's past the 3-4 days after the sell-by date, I'd discard the roast.

I hope this has helped in your understanding of how long fresh meat can be kept safely in the refrigerator. If you should need further assistance, please let me know.

Carol C. Schlitt
    Extension Educator, Nutrition and Wellness
    University of Illinois Extension

Get the answer below
    Sponsored Links

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2006

Hey Rosieo! THis is what I found, so you are right I guess! Come on over!!!!

6. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Dec 19, 2006

I know that you already got your answer but just to let you know when chicken or pork spoil they both turn very slimy and have a bad odor. When they are slimy they get very shiny looking. I use to work in a meat shop (all through high school and college) and even though the above article says that is is still okay to eat I would not once it has reached this point, we never used meat once it reached this point. I hope that this helps for the future.

7. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2006

I'm on my way!!!

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2006

I never use anything past the sell by date....even if it still looks OK! I am a freak about this kinda stuff....I personally freez all of my meat and chicken right away unlses I know I am going to use it that night or the next day....

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2006

im like that too!! especially with milk!!! even one day after I get rid of it!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

My family laughs at me when I do that with my milk!!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one!!!

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2006

LOL..

my mom made dinner tonight and first bite we took we realized the meat was bad!!!! SOoooooooooooooooooo Grosssssss!!!!!

YUCK!!!

12. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Dec 20, 2006

star9305, you would probably know. I never cook beef if it looks like it has turned kind of brownish, but a friend of mine cooks it anyway. Has it gone bad when it looks this way?

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

It also depends on how cold your fridge is. We keep ours very, very cold . . . almost to freezing, which helps with freshness. I'll go 4-5 days past the "sell by" date on fresh meats, provided I'm positive they've been very, very cold the entire time. Same goes for milk and eggs. Actually, I'll use milk for a week past the date and eggs for almost a month.

14. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2006

milk....goes in the garbage as soon as the sell by date comes along...sometimes even a day before that!!!

15. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Dec 21, 2006

When in doubt, throw it out!!! LOL

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

Well, I THREW IT OUT!!!!!! I accidentally left the package unwrapped while inspecting it and when I went to throw it in the crock pot, it was so dry that I threw it in the garbage instead! So ends the saga of the pork ribs.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 21, 2006

About meat that turns a little brown, as long as its been refrigerated and is in the date to be used by, the browning happens because its become oxidized and should be fine, smell it. Hamburger does this mostly, and if you cut it in half you'll see its just the outside--that plastic they put on doesn't really do a good job keeping it fresh. And meat counters are known for adding red color to make things look better. Our grocery shopping is done on saturday and I decide what we are having or doing with the meat by Monday, Even if I freeze something just for one day. If its been vacume packed like a beef or pork loin in that really thick plastic wrapping, it usually has a date on it pretty far out. If you have bought meat on sale and it had a discount coupon attached by the butcher, it probably means you need to cook it right away. (but you should if the meat if fresh have 2-3 days from the sale by date)-- different from the use by date.

Yogurt and milk should have about a week after the sell by date. However I do not drink milk, and since it always smells bad to me I do throw it out on that day or the day after. (my step dad owns a grocery store and he tells me the ins and outs of shelf life of food).

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 21, 2006

I drink milk I mean use milk after the date. But I only put it in my tea so if it curdles I won't use it. If it smells I don't use it. And usually toss it if it's been more than three days.