Question about math/literacy centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mkate, May 10, 2009.

1. mkate

mkate Comrade

May 10, 2009

I have been reading a lot about all sorts of great activities that people use for math or literacy centers, and I'm curious to know more about how this works. I live in Spain (I'm American though) and here, although officially we must use a Constructivist approach and adapt for individual differences, in practice it's mostly in-lockstep instruction plowing through the textbook,everyone using the same book, with extra help given as needed.

So I'm wondering: what grade levels use centers? How is center time organized? What exactly do you use it for? (I'm guessing practice and review rather than introducing new material.) How much time per day is spent in centers?

I'd love to try to introduce some of these ideas over here...

Thanks!

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 10, 2009

what grade levels use centers? I don't know the exact grade levels. But I use them in 3rd grade. My school is K-4 and I know grades 1-4 use centers. I don't know about K...

How is center time organized? I do literacy centers. We do them on Tue, Wed, and Thur. Students go to 2 centers for 20 minutes each. So in a week each student group goes to 6 centers. My groups are leveled by ability. Next year I'm planning on having 9 centers.

What exactly do you use it for? My centers are: vocabulary, spelling, writing, leveled reading, listening/comprehension, teacher table. At the vocab center the students practice their weekly vocab words with various activities. At the spelling center students practice their weekly spelling words with activities (telephone words, Scrabble Spelling, Word's Worth). At the teacher table I typically reinforce the skill of the week (i.e. cause and effect, author's purpose, fact and opinion, etc.). Usually I do an activity with the students and if there is left over time they play a reading game.

How much time per day is spent in centers? 3 days a week, 40 minutes a day

Some resources to help you are Debbie Diller's books and the Florida Center for Reading Research.

4. mkate

mkate Comrade

May 11, 2009

Thanks, cMcD. I would love to implement something like this. I'll check out the books and website.