Question about loans, particularly APLE (CA)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, May 8, 2008.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 8, 2008

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, but I am just starting my teaching program. In CA they have APLE program which is a program to forgive your student loans in certain situations after you secure employment and work for a few years. To qualify you must teach a few years in low income areas...

Just wondering if anyone had been in the program and what are your thoughts on it? Not sure what to do...:help:

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

May 9, 2008

APLE paid off most of my loan (credential program was about $10,500). I worked in a Title 1 school for 4 years. Each year I was sent minimal paperwork (2-3 pages) to fill out, have my prinicpal sign, and return. It was definitely worth it to me.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 9, 2008

As of now, I have no positive or negative comments about APLE.
    I'm going through it right now. So far, I completed 1 year of special ed teaching. I didn't work the following school yr, but I did do long-term subbing in special ed, so hopefully it can count too.

I faxed in 3 forms recently, which were recieved:

1) The 2007-08 Teaching Compliance form
    2) The 2006-07 Employment Verification form
    3) My loan lender faxed in the loan verification form

Now, I'm waiting on APLE to make the next move. I have not yet gotten any kind of money from them. I hope it all works out. (I believe one has to teach for 2 yrs at the very least to get any kind of aid).

Anyone else

5. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jun 6, 2008

Ms. I, can you post the website where you downloaded these three forms? Thanks!

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2008

I used aple and it paid the majority of my loan. One thing, do not stop your payments of the loans until aple notifies you that it has taken over.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 7, 2008

mudpie1598, I didn't download those from anywhere. APLE mailed those three forms to my physical address. Below is the APLE site, but I don't know if those particular forms are on there.

http://www.csac.ca.gov/doc.asp?id=111

Update: Last week, APLE emailed two more forms out (yes, this time they emailed them):

1) 2007-08 Employment Compliance Verification Form AND
    2) 2008 Loan Balance Verification Form

Now, the three forms in my previous post were mailed to me, but these latest two are downloadable, but you need an access code that came in an email from APLE.

8. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jun 7, 2008

Question about this...I am just now finishing up teaching my second year at a Title 1 school. Is it too late to apply for this?

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2008

You must apply for APLE while you are still in school before you receive your credential.

10. biolady

biolady New Member

Jun 17, 2008

I got a postcard from APLE with an employment verification request. They want me to go to a website to input some information, but the web address was damaged in the mail and I can't read all of it. I've tried emailing and calling them, but I can never get through or get a reply. Does anyone know the correct address?

Thanks!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 17, 2008

biolady, here's the # to reach a live person: 888-224-7268 option 3.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 2, 2008

APLE just recently paid most of my APLE loan amt on 6/20/08. I still have $515 left to pay (they paid $1782). So, I get to skip paying for June.

Anyone else's just get paid?

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2008

Ms. I , good news. How long have you been working before you received any loan payment? How much did you get a loan for?

I am still a little confused about the procedure. First I fill out a FAFSA form online and that result will go to my institution who will tell me what rate I can qualify for a loan, then I get a loan, then do school, get the credential, get a contract and after a year or two of working (but I am still paying off my loan) APLE will send some money to help me pay off my loan, if I teach in certain subjects or in a low income area until the loan is paid off? Do I have it right? So would my next step be to fill out the form on FAFSA?

Thanks,
    Heavens

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2008

You got it!

The one thing you omitted is to apply for APLE while you are still in school and before you get your credential.

Your school's financial aid office should have an APLE Coordinator who can point you in the right direction.

15. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I had heard rumors about versions of this program...thanks to everyone for making it so clear! I'll be sure to apply to it soon :)

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 2, 2008

Yes, I'm glad!

I've only worked as a special ed teacher for 1 year (2006-07). I then long-term subbed for 1/2 yr this school yr that just finished for language, speech, & hearing class, so maybe that counted for something too. Unfortunately, none of my sub work from 1999-2006 counted.

It's been so long now, I don't even know for sure how I got involved in the APLE program. It had to be back around 2001 or '02 when I began my teacher ed courses. I don't remember applying for FAFSA to get this particular aid, but maybe so. (I realize FAFSA is the 1st thing one is supposed to fill out to get any kind of aid). I vaguely remember the coordinator in charge of the dual credential program I was in who first introduced me to it. I believe it was a different kind of application (not FAFSA). This is the very 1st time I finally got aid for anything to do w/ my teacher ed courses.

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2008

But you did take out a loan, right? If you took out a loan, was it through FAFSA so that you got a better interest rate or just a private loan?

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 2, 2008

Yes, I had gotten a loan.

19. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jul 12, 2008

Hi everyone! I graduated from my credential program in June '07. My prelim credentials are dated the same month. I did apply for the APLE loan while in school, but for the past year I did not work at an eligible school.

I got a new job for next school year teaching high school math at a charter school. I'm not sure if the school/position counts (the APLE website is down right now), but if it does, I'm wondering if I'll be able to get any repayment money still. On the APLE FAQ, I read" "You must complete the first school year of eligible full-time teaching services within a 24 to 36 month time frame from the effective date of your credential".

Has anyone been able to get APLE repayment money if they didn't teach at an eligible school right after graduation? Do you know what the process to do so is?

20. aidge

aidge Rookie

Sep 29, 2008

Hello, after credential I taught abroad and then private school for two years, before I did my first year in an APLE eligible school. They paid off $2,000 the summer after my first public school year- so it worked. I'm waiting on their response after my 2nd public school service year. I sent in the papers a month ago, which were done a little differently this year than previous ones.

21. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2008

So Aple makes the loan payments for you? That is how they pay it off for you? This is a little confusing.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 29, 2008

Yes, heavens54: once you start teaching in an eligible situation, APLE takes over your loan payments for the year, up to four years. The exact amount that's covered varies, of course. But you have to apply for APLE while you're still in school.

23. aidge

aidge Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

No wait...

APLE does not really TAKE OVER payments for you...If you submit proof that you were at an eligible school that past year, they mail a check for $2,000-3,000 to your lender. Then you do it again next year (around summer) until 4 years have passed. At that time those payments given in chunks to your lender SHOULD add up to around $11,000 that they've covered for you. But you do still have to be making your own payments that whole time. THEIR payments just wittle it down more and more for you, hopefully.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 30, 2008

Thanks for the clarification, aidge. Further proof, in case anyone needed it, of the wisdom of going to A Source Authority - which, when it comes to APLE and related matters, TeacherGroupie is emphatically and gratefully so not.

25. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008

Yes, APLE sends the payment directly to the lender.

26. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2008

I am still hesitant to do this...why? I am not sure. I guess I just don't understand it.

Steps to APLE:

1. Fill out FAFSA form.
    2. They respond with information as to what interest rate and what fed. companies I can borrow from, hopefully at a low interest rate. This information is given to my school fin aid office.
    3. I take out the loan to cover my tuition? Or more than my tuition? Let's say $12,000. Or can I do more if I want?
    4. When they bill me for payments, I pay them each month.
    5. I fill out APLE paperwork each year that I work in a low income school. Each year, after I work that year in a low income school, APLE sends a check back to my lender for 1/4 of my loan.
    6. After four years of working, APLE paid off my loan.

But what about the payments I have been making? Is that ever reimbursed? Or just the balance of what I didn't pay? I guess I am just dense on this subject. It doesn't make much sense to me, overall. Too many open ended variables; how much for the load? What interest rate? How much is my montly payment? When do they start paying? How much? You know what I mean? Does anyone else feel this way? Or just me?

Thanks all. I guess this weekend I will take the first step and fill out FAFSA, again. I have filled it out twice now and it hasn't saved my information.

27. aidge

aidge Rookie

Oct 3, 2008

Ok so...

I went to undergrad and credential program. I filled out FAFSA each student year. They approved me for Stafford Loans. The Citibank people disbursed money to me each semester. I lived off of it, didn't have to worry about stuff, I paid my tuition with it. THEN when I was in the credential program I signed up for APLE. About 6 months after the credential program ended I started getting billed by Citibank (the lender) each month. If I was in financial hardship, I could defer payment for a few months while I got back on my feet. I still had interest accruing during that time (approx. 3.5 %). Usually I was able to make the monthly payments, though, and put a little extra in the check to go towards principal.
    A few years after the credential program when I actually started my first public school job, I notified APLE that I was ready to fill out their paperwork to get the first chunk paid off. Summer after my first public school service year, I noticed that $2,000 had been paid to Citibank by APLE. So basically, if I started off with $20,000 in school loans, AFTER the chunks were paid off by 4 years of APLE service, I will only be paying about $9,000 of that MYSELF. That's the beauty part. You're basically being GIVEN $11,000 (or the lender's being given it) so that all YOU have to pay on your loans is what's leftover. P.S. - it's much simpler if you just consolidate your loans right after you finish school, into one lump of money you owe. Then just allow APLE to hack away at it over a few years (while YOU chip away at it) :rolleyes: In the end, you'll have BOTH helped whittle it down to nothing, or at least whittled it down to a VERY reasonable amount.

28. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2008

This is very helpful.

One more question. Did you decide that amount of $20,000? Is that what you figured that you needed to get you through school? Did that include living expenses or just tuition.

Thanks very much. I see how it works. Yes, I'm a little slow. So during school, you only might be paying on the interest, not necessarily the principal...that makes sense.