Question about how to apply for unemployment- website or phone??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2009

Question about how to apply for unemployment- website or phone?? <Update>

My husband's friend, who is a seasonal worker, applies for unemployment whenever he is out of work. He told me that when I apply for unemployment, to do it over the phone rather than online. He said that he doesn't apply online because he doesn't trust it.

I would prefer to apply online because calling in is such a hassle. They receive so many phone calls that sometimes they set up a prerecorded voice message that says to call back tomorrow as they are receiving a large amount of phone calls. The friend said to start calling in at 7:55 and keep pressing redial. UGH! That sounds too stressful. Applying online doesn't.

Sooooo, what do you guys think? Have you ever had an issue with applying online? Thanks! :)

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 4, 2009

My mom does it online. It takes her about 2 minutes every Sunday. She hasn't had a problem with it.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2009

That's good to know that she doesn't have any issues with the online method.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 4, 2009

Online. It's fast and convenient. You update your status every other week. They deposit funds to your bank account.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 4, 2009

I have been using the online system for a year. No problems. You can see where your claim is in the process by looking at your summary.

I have called and waited and waited and ..................

7. SSA

SSA Companion

Oct 4, 2009

Definitely use the internet unless there is some issue where you feel the need to call.

Most states are stretched to the limit whereas their unemployment phone banks. For a lot of states I understand you can do most of the common stuff online so why would you call in if you don't have to? From some news articles that I have read there are a lot of technophobes like your friend needlessly are clogging up the phone banks for common matters that can be done through state unemployment websites.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2009

Yep, online. Easier, faster, better.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2009

Great! Good to know. Now, if I can only figure out how to fill some of these questions out!:rolleyes:

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2009

I've been looking all over the EDD website for this. I just got my award letter and I will be getting UI!! YAY! But, it have been working three days this week (actually, more like one half day, one full day, and today two hours). I want to claim these days but I don't know how. ??? Any ideas on this? Thanks!!!!!

11. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Oct 9, 2009

My brother has had a lot of problems with the website going down..just fyi. His work is seasonal..so it has given him a lot of headaches at times.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2009

Ugh! Great. Maybe I'll just wait for them to send me an overpayment bill and just pay back the extra later on then!:rolleyes: