Question about Grading

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 8, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 8, 2010

So, coming from Kinder, one of the things that really makes me nervous for next year is doing official grades. My kids are used to spelling tests and because our standardized testing is multiple choice, most of our assessments (esp. common) were in that format to get them used to it-we graded those. the grades just didn't get averaged for report cards or anything. And for writing and projects, I've done rubrics.

We have to have 3 grades in each subject every week. Are there any guidelines you use to what you will grade? Like it has to have a certain number of questions? We have workbooks, would you grade a page they did in class toward their final grade? Giving grades for reading I think will be difficult because in the beginning we don't really have any solid objectives-like vowel digraphs or compound words. I would think science and social studies would be hard to grade as well, unless there was a project involved.

Anyway, any advice, suggestions, guidelines you use while grading? :help:

3. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jul 8, 2010

When I taught 1st besides the weekly reading and spelling test being graded. A lot of time there would be participation points if they were following along, staying on task, even itf the child didn't ask/answer questions. I gave points for hw, science particiapation, language etc. As the year progresses you'll have too much to grade.

4. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 8, 2010

I am wondering this too...what types of things do you actually grade in 1st?

5. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

We have FCAT weekly tests for reading. I also grade chapter tests in math and I have my own assessments for science and social studies. For writing, I have the students select their best piece each week to turn in for a grade. Every once in a while I'll use classwork as a grade. For instance, I used their classwork during our Holidays Around the World unit in social studies.

But mostly I treat finishing classwork and homework as a behavior. For grades, I like to look at what they can do independently.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2010

We have weekly basal tests for comprehension, grammar, vocabulary, and (sometimes) phonics skill. I give a spelling test weekly, and it includes the ten spelling words (basal) and one dictation sentence (they are given this at the beginning of the week to work on). If we don't finish a math chapter in a week (and we often don't), I do my own assessments. There are tons of participation grades for health, science, and social studies, but I also have (my own) assessments, depending upon what we are covering. I only grade homework for being turned in on time (on time = A, 1 day late = B, 2 days late = C, etc.) - as long as they attempted to do the work, I credit it (I give a weekly homework packet). It goes into their conduct grade. For ELA, we have to weight the grades: Grammar 40%, Writing 40%, and Spelling 20%. For reading fluency, we do an Oral Reading Fluency test (not timed), in which the kids read a passage to us, and are graded on the number words correctly read divided by the number of word read incorrectly or skipped. We are on a 10 point grading scale. I hope you could follow all this!

7. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 8, 2010

I give a reading comprehension test on fridays, they read to me for a minute on fridays ( i haven't graded it in the past but may this year), I orally test them on the sight words they know on fridays as well.

I give a practice spelling test on thursday, those missing 1 or 0 don't have to take the final one on friday.

I give a language test on thursdays.. really short.

Math falls when it does because of the way the chapters are set up.

I refuse to grade homework since I would essentially be grading the parents. haha

They get S,N,U's in handwriting, pe, art, and social living.

I don't grade handwriting hard. Art and Social Living is just a participation grade.. they all get S's. Last year I didn't even do social living in order to focus more on reading so it wasn't a big deal.

Reading, Math, Language and Spelling are all letter grades, as well as conduct.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2010

I do this, too! My kiddos who earn 100% on the "practice test" Thursday earn a "super speller" card (made on VistaPrint, of course!), and are exempt from the "real" test on Friday! Since I started doing this - my spelling grades have gotten MUCH better (and not just Friday spellers, either)!

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 8, 2010

Thanks so much for your replies. It was really helpful. I guess I'm not used to grading reading specifically. Sure, I came up with fluency levels, but I have trouble putting a grade to that. I can see if it's a skill you've taught like the silent "e" rule or something-but grading a passage? Is it something you give them earlier in the week to work on?

I actually give the pre-test on Weds and if they score 100% they get to choose 3 words they want to learn. The grade still stands but some of them really challenge themselves with new words.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2010

The fluency passage has a heavy emphasis on the phonics skill of the week, but is not limited to it. There have been times when the kids have seen it (but not much) and others when they have not. ALL of the words are words the kids have read before. I don't grade by number read correctly divided by total number of words in the passage, like some teachers, instead, I divide the number of words read correctly by the number of words attempted. It seems more fair that way to me, because I prefer to have good COMPREHENDERS who maybe don't read super fast to having super fast readers who can't remember what they read, lol.