Question about getting Master's degree online

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Teach2learn, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Teach2learn

Teach2learn Rookie

Dec 20, 2006

Hello,

I am not currently teaching but I am looking into teaching again. I am considering getting my Master's degree from an accredited school online. I'm wondering if this is just as acceptable to districts as one earned on a campus? Any thoughts? I'm also not sure about how to slecet the best one. Thanks!

3. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Dec 20, 2006

I would check with the school districts that you are interested in. There may be different opinions in each district, but why go to all that expense if the districts will look at an online degree negatively.

4. Teach2learn

Teach2learn Rookie

Dec 20, 2006

Unfortunately right now I don't have any specific districts in mind because we are military and I have no idea where we will be a year from now.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Dec 20, 2006

Many teachers in my district have received their Master's online from National University. As far as I know, they all completed their programs while teaching full-time.

6. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Dec 20, 2006

I haven't done a master's degree online but I plan to and I also did my Bachelor of Education (Primary - Special Education) upgrade online. I did mine through Charles Sturt University which is a very reputable university here in Australia. It is highly valued and nobody ever even flinches when I say that I studied via correspondence. Online study is just as valuable as face to face if done through a proper university but of course I guess it does come down to what individual employers think and how it is valued over there.

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Dec 20, 2006

In my experience, people look down on the online degrees. They don't realize that they take just as much work as traditional "brick and morter" classrooms do!!

8. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Dec 20, 2006

Kidatheart, im interested in knowing - do people ask you if you attended university or if it were online? From my experience most people dont ask because they just assume that its an on campus or they dont mind either way. I mean its not something that is written over your degree when its conferred so unless you tell employers they wouldnt know (not that i would personally lie about it) anyway.

9. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Dec 21, 2006

I think that it comes up most often during conversations... I took classes toward an MBA (previous job) completely online. When people would ask about the coursework, I would tell them about the online format. I guess that there are so many "fly-by-night" online programs that don't require a whole lot of work that have given it a bad name. What's that saying, one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel??

10. Teach2learn

Teach2learn Rookie

Dec 22, 2006

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I think I will go ahead and pursue an online degree. Mainly because I am a military spouse and I think it will be difficult (with moving and all) to work on a degree otherwise.

11. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Dec 22, 2006

I think most universities are going online at least for a portion of the classes. It's not all all uncommon these days and I'm sure that if the school is fully accredited, it will be a plus for you. It says you know and understand technology and use it on a daily basis. Go for it!