Question about gen ed teachers and IEP meetings

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacheratheart, Dec 23, 2007.

1. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Dec 23, 2007

I was under the impression that only one general ed teacher had to be at the annual IEP meeting. Of course, more could be invited and come and such but that it was okay as long as one showed up. My sped director is leading me to believe that IDEA '05 changed all that and that ALL the teachers have to be invited and come even if the student isn't serviced for their area. So, if I only see a student for math, I still have to invite their Ag teacher, and English teacher, and Health teacher, etc. And if they don't come, I have to go through this whole process of obtaining signatures and making sure it's okay with the team if the AG TEACHER doesn't come to the IEP meeting. It takes sooooo much time. My question is, "Is she lying to me?" Do I really have to do this or is she being over cautious? Could someone tell me where in IDEA it says this? She is quite the perfectionist and if it isn't done her way, then in her mind it's wrong.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2007

To my knowledge, you're correct about needing only one gen ed teacher at an IEP meeting.

While it may not be the law, it may be that this director is following some sort of district or school protocol. I'm not sure, but I know the other special ed teachers around here can probably help.

Good luck!

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 23, 2007

The changes were actually made in 2004, and yes, she could very well be purposefully lying to you. The law states that only one regular ed teacher needs to be present.

Just Google "IDEA 2004 IEP meetings", and you'll find all kinds of information to support you!

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 23, 2007

Yes, it is only one and it actually doesn't even have to be the teacher for that student! In many schools it is just a teacher who has that planning period for the time that the parents come.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 24, 2007

I thought the rules just changed this year for some reason but maybe I am mistaken.

I did find this:
    When IEP Team Members May Be Excused from IEP Meetings

An IEP team member may be excused from attending an IEP meeting if the member’s area of curriculum or service will not be discussed or modified and if the parent and school agree.

A member of the IEP team may also be excused if the member’s area of curriculum or service will be discussed or modified, if the member submits a written report to the parent and the IEP team in advance, and if the parent provides written consent. (Section 1414(d)(1)(C))

7. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Dec 27, 2007

As far as I know, only one general ed teacher needs to be there. Even though my students take gym, there is no slot on their IEP for the gym teacher's signature. It is not necessary.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2007

But not every teacher is a member of the IEP team. To my knowledge, an IEP team usually consists of the student, hir parents, a special ed teacher, a gen ed teacher, and (maybe?) the special ed facilitator. If one of those people will be absent from the meeting, then that needs to be documented and agreed on ahead of time.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 27, 2007

Correct. Only 1 general ed. teacher needs to attend. For my students who were not integrated into a general ed. class, I had a general ed. teacher from their grade level attend. I listed the IEP team members on the letter I sent to the parents when I requested them to attend an IEP meeting. If one of the members were unable to attend, I had to get the parent's approval to go ahead with the meeting and I also documented that the member did not attend and why.

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 27, 2007

We have a new "excused from the meeting form" we also have a new form that allows us to revise a goal or part of the IEP without having to call a meeting (parent must sign this form). I only have one gen ed teacher at my meetings and they don't stay the whole time, but I teach ECSE. I'm pretty sure that that's how it goes for the whole time. Sometimes we have two sped teachers at our meeting if we are thinking of sending a kid into a cross cat room. They handle things a lot differently than we do in pre-k and I want to make sure that they are goals that can be used by the standards they work towards- I still say the ECSE IEP's should be like the IFSP's because that is more closely related to things at our level.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 27, 2007

If it is a middle school wouldn't all the teachers be on the team. So math teacher, english teacher, science teacher, social studies.......

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2007

No. There only needs to be one general ed teacher on the team, and it actually doesn't even have to be one of the student's teachers.

I teach in high school, and I've been asked to attend an IEP meeting for a student I don't have because none of his teachers were available at the time of the meeting.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 28, 2007

Oh that is so strange to me. When we had 504 meetings all of the teachers were present. So I figured it would be the same for an IEP meeting.

I love this site, I learn something new everyday!!

14. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Dec 28, 2007

We have that form, which is causing part of the problem. Like I have all this free time to run around and get signatures from people who aren't even part of the IEP team.

Thanks for all your info and help guys! Now I am better prepared to state my case when school is back in session.

15. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Dec 29, 2007

edited to include law text:

According to IDEA 2004, Section 1414(d)(1)(B), the IEP team includes:

(i) the parents of a child with a disability;

(ii) not less than 1 regular education teacher of such child (if the child is, or may be, participating in the regular education environment;

(iii) not less than 1 special education teacher, or where appropriate, not less than 1 special education provider of such child;

(iv) a representative of the local educational agency . . .

(v) an individual who can interpret the instructional implications of evaluation results . . .

(vi) at the discretion of the parent of the agency, other individuals who have knowledge or special expertise regarding the child, including related services personnel as appropriate; and

(vii) whenever appropriate, the child with a disability."

16. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 29, 2007

The parent signs the form- The case manager or other member of the team writes the name and why they were not present.