Question about food at school's teacher's launch

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Subber, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subber

Subber Companion

May 5, 2010

I usually do not go to the launch but sometimes i have to when subbing Sp Ed class. If there is food for all the staff there, do you help yourself?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 5, 2010

Every day our faculty room is stocked with bagels, rolls, fresh fruit and something sweet-- a coffee cake or some scones.

Any adult in the building is welcome to partake.

The teachers, secretaries, nurses, any college kids observing, even the UPS man.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 6, 2010

It's teacher appreciation week, and today the PTO brought us lunch. Our subs enjoyed it as well.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 6, 2010

What is Launch?

6. Subber

Subber Companion

May 6, 2010

This was my experience yesterday at a school I have subbed ofeten though it had been a while before I stred subbign there again recently. I was subbing Sp Ed and so I had to go eat at the Staff Launch. About a little over an hour before my lunch, I heard one aid telling the other to be sure to go to the staff launch room. I figured there was food. I had no where else to go sit and eat and so I went there. BTW, in the past when I subbed there, my lunch break time was a bit earlier.

When I got there, I saw some salad and chip on one side of the counter. I wasn;t even aware that the Burritoes were on counter closet to the entrance. Due to my blood sugar issue, I can't just eat anything and so I'd not have bothered with the Burritoes had I noticed it ahead of tie. But, I was the the mood for chips and so I helped myself for just a little bit. I decided that I might as well eat some salad too and so I did.
    I swear on my father's grave that there was this one guy who kept looking at me such that I started becoming self-conscious. By then, I realized that he worried about my eating those food and so to assure him (and others aroung him) that I'd not get more, I took out my lunch box. The only other woman wh seemed to be worried stopped looking. Then a woman (teacher as well) came in and sat next to him but at 90 degree. She was doing the same thing; may be because of what he was doing. Then, I heard someone telling someone that the meat Burritoes were on the other counter by the entrance. So, I knew what they're worried about. That guy and that woman seemed to feel reliefed when they saw me eating my sandwich.

My guess was that they're aiming for the left over and so kind of intimidated me, the man more so than that new woman:)

The Burritoes were in flour tortilla and I wouldn't eat anything but wheat anyway.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 6, 2010

So you mean lunch?

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 6, 2010

When I subbed, I never ate the food unless it was offered to me.

9. CD1980

CD1980 Rookie

May 7, 2010

Same for me...but usually they offer.

A teacher told me about an incident one day (which I thankfully was not there for) when a teacher (not a sub) helped himself to some food that some of the other teachers had brought to share. One of those other teachers yelled at him for eating when he never contributes to their potlucks, and he apparently threw his plate on the floor and stormed out.

So, yeah, I'm not touching their food unless it is specifically offered to me!

10. Subber

Subber Companion

May 7, 2010

Those teachers needed to make it clear by putting note or so that a few of them were sharing. After all, he's a staff there and wouldn't know what's what.

I usually wouldn't touch it unless someone offered me. That day, with the room full of people eating I aside from what I ha dhjeard in the classi subbed from the staff, it was obvious that the staff didn't pay for it.

11. Toak

Toak Cohort

May 8, 2010

At the school I'm at, if its one the eating tables its fair game for all. If its in the corner (and you haven't seen it on the tables the day before), then it is the teachers potluck and so no, because then the teachers who didn't bring in something aren't supposed to eat it,so why would I.
    For teacher appreciation week the parents brought in meals for all of the teachers. I ordered a lunch that day and the cafeteria called me to cancel it because of the special lunch. I was also given a thank you item - which I at first thought was for the teacher whose classroom I was in, but then they gave me another item for her.
    As for teh coffee, no one will say anything if you take it, but I heard from an aid a few years ago that a group of teachers gets together and all contributes to pay for it, and so you shouldn't drink it if you aren't one of them (she didn't know that until she told the security guard how nice it was that the school always provided free coffee. I don't drink coffee so that isn't an issue for me

12. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

May 9, 2010

Why are the teachers so upset over their food? Seriously, teachers misbehaving over other teachers and staff helping themselves to the food, when it's clearly for everybody?

I know we are human, but we have to be positive role models for our students. I thought teachers are beyond food fights.

13. waffles

waffles Companion

May 9, 2010

But it's not always for everyone. And not always clear about who it's for.

I only eat things when I'm offered unless it's candy.

14. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

May 10, 2010

No, I never eat the food unless I am specifically offered. I dont even go to the teacher's lounge/kitchen area unless it is to warm something up in the microwave to begin with

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2010

When I was a sub, I never helped myself to the food if it was laid out unless specifically offered it.

16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

May 10, 2010

I know at my school, even if we are having a luncheon provided by admin or a treat brought by a few of us to share, we don't expect the subs to touch it unless they are offered some. It's just rude to assume you can eat the food when you're not part of the regular staff. We always make sure to offer the food to subs but a few times we've sat at lunch and watched in amazement as subs have come right in and made themselves a plate and walked out with it as if they were entitled. I guess it's just poor manners to help yourself "in a strangers house" without waiting to be invited to do so.

17. Toak

Toak Cohort

May 11, 2010

If you always offer, how do you expect the subs to know that sometimes it won't be offered? Also, whose to say that someone elsewhere in the building didn't offer it to them by saying something like "Why don't you go to the teacher's lounge. There's....in there."

18. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 11, 2010

I don't have to worry about that because I have always been offered every time...2 particular times I remember though was the day I came in (many subs were in the building that day due to workshops at the school) and was told we are having sub sandwhiches and chips for lunch so please join in. This was by the lady in the office and she said I ment to call you to tell you not to bring a lunch. The other time was for idk what reason but they has chickfia minis (you know with the chicken nuggets) for breakfast and they told me to have some if I wanted to!

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 11, 2010

Yes how do you expect the subs if you usually offer food to know when it's ok to take it when it's not. In our building if it's in the teacher's room it's for all to share including subs.

20. Little Monster

Little Monster Rookie

May 11, 2010

My thoughts on those who are suggesting that it is "rude to help oneself in a stranger's house" I feel necessary to remind you that it is far more rude to not offer food to that stranger. Poor manners would be not to offer the sub, or stranger, refreshments. Furthermore, subs already are working in a strange environment with likely a higher level of stress then other staff and faculty; why are you choosing to give them a cold shoulder over potluck food?

Personally, I like to know exactly what I am eating and I would not eat food that was brought in by a stranger with ingredients that I do not know and prepared in a kitchen with an unknown variable of sanitation.

21. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 11, 2010

Not to get too off topic but on the topic of rude or no rude to help your self...I had a neighbor once and he came over to pick up his daughter who we were watching for him and we had just had lunch and did not put away the food yet and he goes over the roast we had that day and started nibbling like he lived there. We just looked at him like HOW RUDE!!

22. Little Monster

Little Monster Rookie

May 11, 2010

These things have a lot to do with upbringing. In some parts of the world, including USA, it is totally normal to treat all guests to refreshments and make them feel comfortable. The term "southern hospitality" could be used as an example.

23. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 12, 2010

I have NEVER heard of a school/staff thinking that subs are not welcome to the spread. EVER. Wow. Is that really your whole school or just a few people who think this way.

24. waffles

waffles Companion

May 12, 2010

I've always been told that as a sub I'm faculty for the day. Which sucked when I was teacher of the year for the day because I didn't park in the special parking space (I'm joking, except I really would have parked there if I'd known). Which meant I'd get food. Even if the food was supposed to come with a meeting (which I'd get to skip unless I really wanted to go).

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2010

In our faculty room, we're pretty good about inviting anyone new to join in.

Jim, the UPS guy, now smiles when he comes in and there's something good.

26. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 12, 2010

I know all about southern hospitility since I am from the south born and raised and living. It was not offered and it was not refresments it was our lunch!! If we would of wanted him over for lunch we would have invited him!!

27. waffles

waffles Companion

May 12, 2010

I agree. We're coming to work. We're not invited by the teachers a lot of the time, we're placed there. Southern hospitality is for guests, not for people who just happen to be around.

I know a few schools around here were all of the teachers in a certain grade level buy stuff for lunch and share that. Should they have to share? If you're not subbing for a teacher in that grade then they definitely don't. If you are, then it's a murkier situation.

If the school is paying for it (where I'm including the PTA), then the sub should get some. They should be offered, but it shouldn't be a big deal if they just get it either.

Really, you can never tell when someone was given permission. I've been told by the secretary at the desk about food and that I should go get some during lunch, and by principals when I arrived. When I got to the food there was no one around who told me or heard that I was told that I could get some. And frankly, nobody cared.

I think most of the disagreements in this thread steam from there not being a distinction in the discussion between food provided for the teachers by the school (which shouldn't even be an issue, subs should get some) and food that was brought by teachers for them and a specific group of teacher to share (which subs have no right to and shouldn't complain if they don't get any and should be very thankful if they're offered some).

28. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 12, 2010

I cannot see the second scenario happening at my school. In our lounge food is spread across the counters when its a potluck or catered lunch. If teachers have something thats just for them, it would be at their table. I don't see how that would happen, why would anyone sub or otherwise take someones food off their table? They wouldn't. And for that matter why would anyone put their own food in the area where community food is kept? Do I make sense here? I just can't see a situation where people would have "hands off food" in a place that wasn't clear if its for everyone or not.

29. waffles

waffles Companion

May 12, 2010

If there aren't counters, or if the counters are being used for something else. I've seen it happen plenty of times.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2010

At our recent teacher appreciation breakfast, the subs actually got to the food before the full time staff did...that was a bit weird. It's not that they wouldn't be welcome, it just seemed presumptuous.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 12, 2010

I very rarely eat something that's in the teacher lounge. However, if it's been covered (not laying out in the open) & it's a food I really want, I'll take it. Just on Mon, I have to pass the lounge to go to the restrooms. Well, there were 2 pizza boxes & 2 slices of pizza left & no one in sight. Normally, I wouldn't eat after people have picked it over, but being that it's my favorite food, I popped it in the microwave & ate it!

32. waffles

waffles Companion

May 12, 2010

Even I'll admit that that was a bit weird. I won't say rude because I'm hoping that someone told the subs they could get it, so the subs did. But definitely weird.

33. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 12, 2010

:thumb:

Some teachers (and admins) are as immature as the kids.

34. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 12, 2010

Wow, you guys make your subs sounds like dogs or kids IMO. 'Not to touch it unless offered. Not part of the regular staff.'

Well if your school doesn't value subs maybe they should split the classes up among the regular staff whenever teachers are absent.

I'm always thankful for any extra help I can get, as the regular teacher and the sub.

35. Little Monster

Little Monster Rookie

May 12, 2010

I am really disappointed by the attitude of some of the people in this thread. Subs are guests. Most schools refer to subs as "guest teachers". And no, if you do not offer food to a stranger you do not know anything about southern hospitality. If food is left in the open then there should be no question that it is for everyone. So sad to see the level of greed some people exhibit... I sure hope that this entitlement and superiority complex is not being rubbed off on to students.

36. Subber

Subber Companion

May 12, 2010

In the part of California where I sub, it seems to me that no one (Staff or teachers) bother with the responsbility to offer subs officially though there were *a few* times a teacher would casually inform me about the food in room *Numer*.

37. Subber

Subber Companion

May 12, 2010

Common sense would dictate that I was referring to food provided for the teachers and food shared by the teachers but those who are eager to find fault with subs do not seem to *get* that point.

38. Subber

Subber Companion

May 12, 2010

Exactly my sentiment with regard to some of the responses; I hope I am not the only one who notice "the big fish in the little pond" attitude of *some though few* teachers in our subbing experience.

39. Subber

Subber Companion

May 13, 2010

You nailed it. That's exactly the attitude of people in every work environment: Acting superior and more important than other people.

40. Subber

Subber Companion

May 13, 2010

Good for you:)

41. Subber

Subber Companion

May 13, 2010

Why would it be weird if the subs were told to get it? She/he had no time to make sure that she/he wasn't the first person much less the person before any regular teachers. It's just common sense to understand that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.