Question about emailing a principal

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lillebe, Jul 16, 2007.

1. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I saw on a district's website that they have an opening for September. This district uses OLAS (an online application system). I applied through the online application, yet I know most people tend to get lost in the system through this. So I was thinking about emailing each of the 3 principals from the 3 elementary schools in the district. I would just email them my cover letter and attach my resume. I don't know if it'll hurt my chance by annoying the principal, or if it will increase my chances by actually having the principal read my resume.
    Just wondering what you all think about this?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

YES!!!!!!!

Last year I emailed my cover letter and resume to lots of schools, some of whom were part of OLAS, some not. They are what got me interviews; both calls came right after I sent the emails.

Also, look here: http://www.fordyce.org/long_island/li-educ.html for schools that aren't part of OLAS.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Do it!

Principals wade through so many applications with those online systems. You need to do whatever it takes to make yourself stand out.

5. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Good idea!

Yes - by all means, send your resume to them, call them, even stop by the school! Put your name and your face out there. Good luck!

6. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Ok I'm glad you're all saying yes, because I acted impulsively and emailed them right after I sent the post; then wasn't sure if I did the right thing. Aliceacc thanks so much for that website, I'm definitely going to spend most of the day tomorrow looking through those school sites and emailing as many principals as I can.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Some of the links don't work, (Harborfields comes to mind) but you can google those districts.