question about drugs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chessimprov, Dec 10, 2015.

1. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Dec 10, 2015

If you're a teacher who sees a student with drugs, what can you do?

This is one of those standard questions you see on the test, and it seems like every school could handle this situation directly. It seems like the best thing to do would be to contact the parent at least. Giving a lecture would not be enough. However, what if you don't know the students' name? What if you have a hard time remembering who they are? What if you know you won't get support because the school is such a big mess that they won't do anything unless there is a physical reaction? Thank you.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2015

I would contact the school's discipline office or campus police immediately. If I didn't know who the student was, I would provide a physical description of the student.

otterpop likes this.
  4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2015

POLICE!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2015

I'd find out who the kid is and notify administration.

MLB711 and otterpop like this.
  6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2015

You're right, it could be handled differently everywhere. In my current school, I'd just tell an administrator. If I didn't know who the student was, I would describe them. I would have no worries at all about it being handled by admin. In my last school, admin would have done nothing and it would be expected that the teacher call the parents.

chessimprov and otterpop like this.
  7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 11, 2015

In my district, it was standard policy to have a specific person to report to--in my school it was the principal. Not taking action in some cases would result in criminal charges against the teacher. If I was in that situation, even without the above rules, I would definitely find someone who could directly help the student. At that age, it's more than just drugs. The other questions are why are they taking drugs, and who's the jerk that's providing them with drugs.

chessimprov likes this.
  8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2015

Contact the school resource officer. Knowing where the student was and at what time would allow the video from the halls to be pulled up to help identify the student.

chessimprov likes this.