Question about dropping off resumes in person

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lovetoteachkids, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

What do you put your cover letter and resume in when you personally drop them off? And should I include anything else? A list of references? My philosophy statement?

Any other advice about doing this? Do you just ask to speak with the principal and then introduce yourself? Do you ask for an interview?

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

I would not put in too much. This is because I secretly beleive I am a ghost employee in many agencies! some agencies have copied my entire portfolio, even down to my dl and ss card. I know this is bad! I think if the state/city inspector comes in, they have a file already on me, and can pretend they have a teacher!!!

You see, with identify theft going on, we have to be really careful these days. Just think, secretary opens your letter, you have cover letter, and maybe copy of your credential, and even, copy of your transcripts. She gets up to copy something. Who is to say Joe Smoe isn't standing there, looking for something to lift??

I figure, if they are interested in me, resume is enough. You can be bold and ask for an interview. All they can do is say, "they will call" or, "he says come right in!"

In all cases, I still say ask for a sub packet. If nothing else, you will have some money coming in, and they will get to know you. Sometimes, new positions open up in the middle or second half of the year.

IMO, I would not include my philosphy statement. Save that for your interview. You want to pique their interest, not give them your whole sales pitch in one envelope.

let us know how it goes!

4. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I have hand delivered my resume to 5 school districts in my area this year. I have never gotten to speak to anyone except the secretary in Human Resources. I usually drop off the complete packet for them--cover letter, resume, transcripts, clearances, certificate, etc... If I know a school near me is hiring I would definitely hand deliver it, if nothing else you may get a little noticed. I usually place my things in a nice clear folder--that way it has a better chance of sticking out from the others. Good luck to you!!

5. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 3, 2007

Before I got my offer, I mailed out all these red folders with cute labels and a business card insert. I had my cover letter, resume, references and an electronic portfolio. However, I only got one call to interview from those and that packet acted like my application materials. It all depends on the districts but I would say make sure your resume is up to date and easy to read, and then just drop it off at the schools. If possible, have a principal proofread it/look over it for you. The principal from when I student taught helped me draft mine, and I got so many compliments on it!

6. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Well, I will admit that I was hand delivering all of mine, and sometimes never even seeing a principal. Just when I was contemplating mailing (a last minut job posting and a very busy day), I thought I'd better just hand deliver b/c I just had a feeling. The Middle School was under construction, so I chose to read a little about that and in the process I saw that the principal had a temp office in the high school. When I finally hunted him down, he was so impressed! He actually to me to his cubicle and talked to me for 20 minutes. He said he'd received 45 by 10:30 that morning, but I was the only one to hand deliver. He guaranteed me an interview for next week. So, that convinced me that it is worth it.

In the application packet that I deliver I include cover letter, resume w/ref, transcripts, and letters of rec on one side. On the other side I have a technology packet (colr examples of the types of tech I'm familiar with) this is always a huge hit! I sandwich that inside my prochure that has my pic on the front, and make it so you can see the pic when the folder is closed.

Good luck to you.

7. IloveKinder

IloveKinder Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I have gone around to each school in three school districts around me and personally handed my resume to the principal. Just my resume. I can tell you that I got an interview with one school simply because I took the time to personally walk-in my resume and introduce myself to the principal (he told me in my interview). He was impressed with my motivation and with 112 applicants for a job where I live you have to do something to stand out! Good luck...I am in the same boat.