Question about different teachers' homework in same grade in same district

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by thesub, Mar 10, 2013.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 10, 2013

Hi: I am hopping over from the substitute forums to see if you all can give some insights with your experience. My son is in the 4th grade in school A. My friend's son goes to school B also in the 4th grade in the same district.The school B teacher gives her students a daily read log, a writing worksheet (paragraph writing) and a math sheet.

My son only gets a math study link page most of the days. Last week during conference week, he did not get any homework at all. Whenever there is a test, there is no homework two days prior to the test even though he gets a study guide to the test and we know what questions are on the test.

The school B teacher has over 20 years elem. ed experience. My son's teacher started teaching last year with 5th grade. This year he was moved to 4th grade.

I am just puzzled how school B teacher is so different than my son's teacher. Do teachers get a lot of room in interpreting curriculum? Is this how I view the situation?

Thanks so much for your answers.
    thesub

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2013

Depending on the district, teachers can have no, some, or full control over how they implement the curriculum.

There are only a handful of teachers in my district who teach the same subject I teach. We all approach the curriculum very differently. We all also have our own policies about homework.

I'd say that the range you described is pretty typical. You might even see that sort of range among two same-grade teachers in the same school.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2013

On my grade level within the same school,teachers homework assignments vary...our school policy sets time recommendations but doesn't dictate what content or how much of each content is assigned each night.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 10, 2013

My daughter and her friends' teachers give different homework and they all teach side by side.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2013

I would HATE to have to be on the same page every day with my grade level colleagues. We are respected to make professional decisions that are right for the kids in each of our classrooms.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2013

Homework also greatly varies at my school- within the same grade level even. With over 20 elementary schools in my district, I am sure the range is quite substantial.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 10, 2013

I agree that it is pretty typical, even within the same school. One thought I had is that homework ideas vary a lot. The research I have seen does not show a lot of classroom impact on student's skills. The two areas I see homework as a major need is math because you just need to practice the skills and reading because the research is very solid on the amount of time reading and school success.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 10, 2013

My grade level teammates and I vary with how much homework we give. I'm not giving any homework over this three week span because we're doing state testing right now. One of the teachers is giving regular homework and another is giving just one or two things at the end of the week. Two of us give a weekly packet on Monday (due Friday) and the other two give something every night. I'm not a huge proponent of large amounts of homework. I usually give about 5-6 pages between reading and math per week. Our admin also doesn't allow us to give consequences for not bringing it back (they don't believe we should give it at all) so there is not much we can do.

If you want more homework for your son, I would just ask his teacher if you can have something else to work on or practice at home. I've done that for several parents in my class who want their child to have more practice.

10. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 10, 2013

Thank you all for your speedy responses.

It was great to get your feedback.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2013

This.

It's very true that your son may have different experiences than another fourth grader in his school. I see nothing wrong with this. In fact, I like it. :)

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 10, 2013

Allowing a teacher to control what is given can be good.

From the side of the student, it really depends on whether it is good or not. An elementary student getting hours of homework when the other classes are getting 20 to 30 minutes might disagree that there is nothing wrong with this.

Homework for homework's sake isn't a good thing.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2013

Absolutely this. Homework should be purposeful and be practicing skills/concepts taught in the classroom. There is quite a debate on the effectiveness of homework, especially as its effectiveness in the early years. Studies appear to be clear that some homework is helpful and important, especially at establishing important study skills for later years. At my current school, we must limit the amount of homework because our students get homework from the English and Spanish teachers. Even among my own grade level, we give similar but different homework assignments. In answer to your question about curriculum, that really does depend on the school and district. Some schools the curriculum is purely scripted, while others allow teacher more professional freedom. I think if your child is successful, then it's really a non-issue. If he is having some difficulties, perhaps speak with the teacher to see what he/she can suggest, or even require your child to read nightly, practice spelling (if it's not already a homework assignment), etc. This way you are taking an active role in this as well.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2013

Obviously. I certainly didn't say or imply that homework just for homework's sake is a good decision. Students experiencing a variety of teachers is good because it's a reflection of society and the workplace. A teacher assigning hours of homework is a completely different issue.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 10, 2013

Neither my district or building have set homework guidelines. I think a lot of it depends on a teacher's beliefs, as well. My students have reading to do every day (20 minutes), spelling on Monday, and a math worksheet Tuesday-Thursday. I sometimes assign other assignments, but not too often. One teacher on my team assigns next to nothing, and another assigns a lot more than I do.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 10, 2013

I teach in a very small parish (county to the rest of you :D) There are two main elementary schools. The regular homework for my 4th graders is studying their dailies, spelling words, and vocabulary words. The reading teacher also usually has them rereading their story (a whole other topic there - directly goes against our school plan). At the other major elementary they have a tremendous amount of written homework: a daily math page (8 - 10 problems) to be completed, a math facts sheet, writing spelling words, and completing their dailies in all subjects for the next day. (The daily math page is not considered a daily skill page. So they have their math4today where a row has to be completed, and the skills page with the 8-10 problems.) In addition there is often outlines in science and social studies to be completed. It's amazing to me, what they ask of their 4th graders.

17. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2013

The two teachers teach at totally different schools. The two teachers may never have met before. Even if they had met the amount of planning time they have with each other is probably none or almost none. If they are at different schools and have no knowledge of the other teacher's plans it would be difficult to align the homework plans.

Even with my fellow circuit teachers at my school we have similarities in the homework; but do not match the homework with each other.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 11, 2013

There are five 2nd grade teachers at my school. We all assign completely different things for homework. Some give a huge packet for the week, while others assign a single page each night. We all have differing views on homework. Personally, I'm not big on assigning lots of homework. One double-sided page works for me (spelling on one side and math on the other). Oh, and I send home a guided reading book each night, too. No reading log, though. Kids need time for after school sports/clubs/activities and they also need time to play outside and enjoy being a kid.

19. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Mar 13, 2013

We are not allowed to assign homework. Only work that is not finished in class can be taken home. I know some teachers go ahead and have students complete a reading log (which I really find pointless) and send math links, but our district says it's a no-no.